• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Observations Early 2019 S/E Heatwave Duration Record

95/72 heat index of 103.... this is how we roll, get winter out of the way in December and get summer out of the way in May. Next
Looks like you have a chance at a shower tonight. Hope that the outflow can make it here at least

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks like you have a chance at a shower tonight. Hope that the outflow can make it here at least

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Oh my....
c78e007f8c08d000e290834849c9d3c6.gif

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The high today at KSAV was 99. That's the 5th record high there in a row (4 new, 1 tie), but is the first day in 5 not at 100+. Baby steps!

My high today was "only" 97.7 and it was pretty early (1:18 PM) despite plentiful sunshine most of the afternoon. The seabreeze set in here the earliest of the heatwave days and a good bit earlier than the more inland KSAV.
KSAV got a thunderstorm late this afternoon though nothing here.

For the first time in days, there's not a cloud to be seen here and it is already 97.3 at 12:20 PM with very light winds vs 96.2 with some clouds 24 hours ago. KSAV had 95 at noon, which is the same as 24 hours ago. Hunter AAFB, however, is at 93 vs 96 24 hours ago. If KSAV reaches 100, it would tie the longest 100+ streak on record (back to the 1870s) with 2 other 5 day streaks that occurred in July. There hasn't even been one in June or August!

The post above is from ~24 hours ago. As of 12:30 PM, I'm at 96.9 with no clouds and a hotter SW wind direction vs yesterday's mainly light and variable before the seabreeze set in early. My high yesterday was ~97.7 at a very early ~1:20 PM due to an early seabreeze. Today's combo of current temp, winds, and skies vs yesterday tells me that the odds favor a hotter day here today vs yesterday with a later seabreeze start most likely.

The post above is from ~24 hours ago. As of 12:30 PM, I'm at 96.9 with no clouds and a hotter SW wind direction vs yesterday's mainly light and variable before the seabreeze set in early. My high yesterday was ~97.7 at a very early ~1:20 PM due to an early seabreeze. Today's combo of current temp, winds, and skies vs yesterday tells me that the odds favor a hotter day here today vs yesterday with a later seabreeze start most likely.

Following up: It hit 98.7 at 1:25 PM. So, already 1 F hotter than yesterday and it still early enough for more heating unless the seabreeze gets here shortly.

With ATL hitting an intra-hour 90*F, this marks the 9th consecutuve day of 90*F+ temps, tying with 1996 for the most number of consecutive 90*F+ days in May.

Tomorrow is still iffy as far as another 90*F+ day. It's going to be close.

Last edited:
Following up: It hit 98.7 at 1:25 PM. So, already 1 F hotter than yesterday and it still early enough for more heating unless the seabreeze gets here shortly.

I saw it hit 99.3 at 2:50 PM, which is 1.6 hotter than yesterday's earlier high. But hopefully that will be the hottest I see as the seabreeze should start soon, if not already.
This is day 6 of our unprecedented long duration May heatwave. Today should be the last of the ridiculously hot days, thank goodness!

Edit: No seabreeze yet as it hit 100.0 at 3:15 PM vs yesterday's high of 97.7 at only 1:20 PM due to an early seabreeze. Perfectly clear skies are allowing for maximum incoming radiation.

Edit #2: "plunged" down to 96.2 at 3:52 thanks to the seabreeze! That's how fast it can drop with its help. So, the 100.0 of 3:15 PM will almost definitely end up the hottest I see today despite clear skies continuing. Then down to 94.8 at 4:15 PM for a 5 F drop in one hour.

Extra: Gainesville, FL, hit 98 at 4 PM.

Last edited:
I saw it hit 99.3 at 2:50 PM, which is 1.6 hotter than yesterday's earlier high. But hopefully that will be the hottest I see as the seabreeze should start soon, if not already.
This is day 6 of our unprecedented long duration May heatwave. Today should be the last of the ridiculously hot days, thank goodness!

Edit: No seabreeze yet as it hit 100.0 at 3:15 PM vs yesterday's high of 97.7 at only 1:20 PM due to an early seabreeze. Perfectly clear skies are allowing for maximum incoming radiation.

Edit #2: "plunged" down to 96.2 at 3:52 thanks to the seabreeze! That's how fast it can drop with its help. So, the 100.0 of 3:15 PM will almost definitely end up the hottest I see today despite clear skies continuing.

Extra: Gainesville, FL, hit 98 at 4 PM.
Larry,
Regrettably (LOL) I'm happy to cede the hot spot today; though it's 99º downtown and 100.2º just up north of town and no seabreeze except that coming off of some fish pond in SW GA ...
Best and Stay Cool!
Phil

Last edited:
IMBY ... (Yuk, but ...) ...

..THE GAINESVILLE CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR MAY 30 2019
VALID TODAY AS OF 0500 PM LOCAL TIME.

CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1890 TO 2019

TEMPERATURE (F) TODAY
MAXIMUM 99R 335 PM

KCHS as far as I can see did not hit 100° today. Either 98° or 99° so that thusly ends the consecutive 100°+ streak at 4 days tied for 2nd longest.

Side notes though. Today has the highest humidity during the heat wave in the dead of afternoon with DPs in the low to mid 60s with an actual heat index higher than the ambient. Also, the low this morning was only 79°. If that holds thru the rest of the day, it could be an all time monthly highest low (upon further research)

(Another only positive with this heat wave...I haven't been bit by a mosquito in months. )

KCHS as far as I can see did not hit 100° today. Either 98° or 99° so that thusly ends the consecutive 100°+ streak at 4 days tied for 2nd longest.

Side notes though. Today has the highest humidity during the heat wave in the dead of afternoon with DPs in the low to mid 60s with an actual heat index higher than the ambient. Also, the low this morning was only 79°. If that holds thru the rest of the day, it could be an all time monthly highest low (upon further research)
Good reporting, and thanks!

Back