• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Observations Early 2019 S/E Heatwave Duration Record

I had to move mine to the roof, too and now have the same problem. Reading 102 at the moment. Wife got tired of looking at it in the backyard. It's ok until around 2pm through about 5:30 pm.
I understand.... my preference was to place it on a pole 25' up in the middle of the front yard (most wide open space I have, no tree interference) but I got overruled on that idea

Atlanta's elevation saving it from the super hot temps? Could also be where the ground still has water from April's rains.

Maybe? I had 91 at my house, looks like Marietta had 92.

I spent the weekend up on lake hartwell and it was 96 when I left there yesterday afternoon and it was 86 at my house in northeastern cobb county. Lake hartwell is 660’ and my house is 1140’.

Local Sheetz stores have no slushies...except strawberry.usually have 10 options but everybody trying to beat the heat. Figure ice wouldn’t be hard to refill but...this fact alone deserves a heat advisory for everyone along and east of i77 in NC

With today’s 101, KSAV had a 4th 100+ in a row. Whereas there have been a number of instances of 4 in a row, none had occurred in May before now. The longest # in a row for any month dating back to the 1870s is 5, set twice in July. There is a decent chance of reaching 5 tomorrow. Regardless, this heatwave in terms of a combo of earliness and duration is one of a kind recordswise for much of the SE US.
Though the Euro runs from a few days ago and earlier were several degrees too hot, the GFS and Euro have done an excellent job of predicting this long duration heatwave over a week out. The GFS temps have been remarkably accurate!

Despite the slow start, temps recovered nicely as Atlanta hit a high of 94*F, tying the record.

South the alarms. Heat have will ease up for many this weekend. Brand Pan. now agrees. WXSouth or Robert is out to lunch.

South the alarms. Heat have will ease up for many this weekend. Brand Pan. now agrees. WXSouth or Robert is out to lunch.

The models have been suggesting this from the start. I don’t subscribe to Robert. Therefore, I don’t know any details of his forecasts. But regardless, this will end up as one of the longest durations of intense heat for a good portion of the SE.

Only 95 here. Stout breeze. I could work in this all day every day twice on Sunday. This ain’t nothing. Next
I agree for the upstate this heatwave didn't pack much of a punch. I for one am glad for that. I know CAE and down toward gawx it was worse. I'd take this over 85 and a dewpoint of 75 anyday. Although it does suck with no rain and brown grass.

Back