• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Observations Early 2019 S/E Heatwave Duration Record

Water shortage emergency for Pender County NC. First of many to come

It already hit 100 at my location at 2 PM, hotter than any day yet here by 1 F. It may still get a bit hotter being that there are only a few cumulus and the winds are still coming from the west, a hot direction that is still holding the seabreeze back. Furthermore, the west winds are a little stronger than they were yesterday at this time, which may delay the seabreeze. Also, dewpoints are about 5 cooler, which is actually making the heat index slightly cooler despite it being slightly hotter, but is helping it to warm more since it is drier air. Once I see the winds shift to SE (seabreeze), that will certainly start the cooldown.

It already hit 100 at my location at 2 PM, hotter than any day yet here by 1 F. It may still get a bit hotter being that there are only a few cumulus and the winds are still coming from the west, a hot direction that is still holding the seabreeze back. Furthermore, the west winds are a little stronger than they were yesterday at this time, which may delay the seabreeze. Also, dewpoints are about 5 cooler, which is actually making the heat index slightly cooler despite it being slightly hotter, but is helping it to warm more since it is drier air. Once I see the winds shift to SE (seabreeze), that will certainly start the cooldown.
Sea breeze may happen, but winds are not going to help ...

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 3.10.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-27 at 3.09.58 PM.png

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-74.21,21.02,1907

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/500hPa/orthographic=-99.29,49.14,586

Still no sign of a seabreeze as the W to NW winds continue to be steady. By this time the last 2 days, I already had a seabreeze penetrating this far inland. Highest temp so far that I've seen is 100.7 around 3 PM. There are still only a few shallow cumulus clouds. Therefore, the city is hotter than yesterday by about 2 F. Hopefully this will end up the hottest day.

Also, correction of yesterday's KSAV (airport, which is further inland) high: It was first reported to be a May record tieing 101 but it was revised up to 102, a new May record! Records go back nearly 150 years. That 102 ties it for the hottest of any month back to August of 2000.

Still 100.0 as of ~4:30 PM. My location is very sheltered with bushes surrounding it.

Last edited:
With gusty NW winds, dewpoints have dropped all the way to 50 at CHS and CAE allowing their heat indices to actually be a few degrees lower than their respective temperatures. These 50s are some of the lowest dewpoints in the E 1/2 of the US south of a line from Chicago to Pittsburgh to Phil, a highly unusual situation bringing RHs down to 19%!

Last edited:
You'd think it was a 'cane the way the news is dealing with it ... o_O ... but enough of MBY ... ;)

Yeah ... 33º and rain both sound good about now; together or separately ...
Please ... no poop ... :rolleyes:

Temps are about 5 degrees behind where they were yesterday, interestingly enough.

They're only barely, if any, behind in my area but there are some things going the way of lower highs vs yesterday here:
1. Lighter winds vs yesterday (still from inland direction): may mean seabreeze will kick in sooner/further inland than yesterday
2. A thin cirrostratus cover now vs no cirrus yesterday
3. Dewpoints are a couple of degrees higher today. So the air is very slightly more moist.

That being said, noon readings are very hot at noon: the same at Hunter vs 24 hours ago (96) though are 2 F cooler at KSAV vs noon yesterday (95 vs 97). Both had highs of 101 yesterday.
I'm at 96.2. The highest I saw yesterday was 100.7 around 3 PM. Let's see how this plays out.

Last edited:
They're only barely, if any, behind in my area but there are some things going the way of lower highs vs yesterday here:
1. Lighter winds vs yesterday (still from inland direction): may mean seabreeze will kick in sooner/further inland than yesterday
2. A thin cirrostratus cover now vs no cirrus yesterday
3. Dewpoints are a couple of degrees higher today. So the air is very slightly more moist.

That being said, noon readings are very hot at noon: the same at Hunter vs 24 hours ago (96) though are 2 F cooler at KSAV vs noon yesterday (95 vs 97). Both had highs of 101 yesterday.
I'm at 96.2. The highest I saw yesterday was 100.7 around 3 PM. Let's see how this plays out.

More to the above: Bad news is that I already hit 100.0 at 1:20 PM and the cirrostratus is almost gone. But the good news is that it at least appears that the seabreeze may get here soon. We don't have that steady W to NW wind of yesterday at this time.

94 at the house probably will end up around 96/97 hottest day so far

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
My weather station not accurate at all in this weather due to location.... it's hit 101 a couple of times but it's too close to my roof. I've been meaning to extend it out and upward to help with that but it's too dang hot!

More to the above: Bad news is that I already hit 100.0 at 1:20 PM and the cirrostratus is almost gone. But the good news is that it at least appears that the seabreeze may get here soon. We don't have that steady W to NW wind of yesterday at this time.

More good news: my temp fell from 100.0 at 1:20 PM to 97.1 at 2 PM, thanks largely to some good cumulus development once the cirrostratus canopy departed. The very important winds are still very light and they're variable.
KSAV is at 98 with a high so far of 99. Will today be the 4th 100+ there in a row?

Back