• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe DEEP SOUTH Severe Weather threat 18-20th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just downloaded RadarScope. Someone teach me how to use it?

There is a group on facebook, very good info. I’m sure they will be extremely active today.

I love how Glenn Burns posts a county Map of Georgia so people can learn what county they are in.

You’d be surprised! No one around here knows anything!

As far as this threat, looking menacing from the SPC. I’m now in the enhanced area with a hatched area for tornados, yikes! I’m just hoping and praying that it doesn’t come overnight but it’s looking like it will.

Here's a very crude analysis of where the warm front, prefrontal trough, and dry line are currently located across Dixie and the lower MS Valley. The storm near and just north of Birmingham likely fired at a triple point where the warm front merged w/ this cold front aloft or prefrontal trough extending from north-central AL down to the Gulf coast. The primary forcing associated with the dry line (in orange) is still way back over northern MS and will take a few more hours to reach northern AL. Those in central GA need to keep a close eye on the location of the warm front (in red) and this prefrontal trough (in black) because this could be a focal point for isolated supercells outside the MDT risk area in northern Alabama as we're currently seeing near Birmingham.

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 2.49.11 PM.png

Here's a very crude analysis of where the warm front, prefrontal trough, and dry line are currently located across Dixie and the lower MS Valley. The storm near and just north of Birmingham likely fired at a triple point where the warm front merged w/ this cold front aloft or prefrontal trough extending from north-central AL down to the Gulf coast. The primary forcing associated with the dry line (in orange) is still way back over northern MS and will take a few more hours to reach northern AL. Those in central GA need to keep a close eye on the location of the warm front (in red) and this prefrontal trough (in black) because this could be a focal point for isolated supercells outside the MDT risk area in northern Alabama as we're currently seeing near Birmingham.

View attachment 4600
How long will it take for the warm front to move into N GA web?

How long will it take for the warm front to move into N GA web?

The warm front likely won't pass through Atlanta until later this evening, by then the main concern may be damaging winds in association w/ the MCS that will evolve from the large-scale merging of the supercell's cold pools. The passage of the warm front in conjunction w/ this prefrontal trough is more of a concern for areas like Macon to kick off an isolated supercell or two. Thankfully, the storm relative helicity won't be as favorable here as it is in northern Alabama closer to the surface low but hail, strong winds, and perhaps a tornado can't be entirely ruled out with the supercell or two that develops south of Atlanta (if any)

Bright sunny and 77 degrees Shelby County Airport Shelby County Alabama

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The warm front is knocking on your doorstep, looks like the low level stratus deck has cleared the next county immediately to your south so it won't be long in all likelihood.
The clouds are still a long ways from being over up here. I've seen almost clear on Sat imagery only for the sky to still be full of thick clouds. Now Alabama is a different story.
GANIMbClz4R25.jpg

The clouds are still a long ways from being over up here. I've seen almost clear on Sat imagery only for the sky to still be full of thick clouds. Now Alabama is a different story.
GANIMbClz4R25.jpg

There's some stratus and leftover fractured cumulus from yesterday's convection and storms firing in Alabama that are shrouding the location of the low-level thick stratus that's over top the warm front but it looks to be making some progress into western GA. The smattering gravity waves just southwest of Atlanta and north of Columbus, GA are indicative of the nose of the warm front mixing stable air immediately along and out in front of it which creates gravity waves, leads to forward propagation of the warm front and progressively destabilizes the atmosphere, and I wouldn't be shocked if a few isolated spots are seeing some kelvin-helmholtz instability given the strong low-mid level and deep layer shear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back