Pattern December to Remember

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Sorry Larry. For cold weather diar straits. Just trying to be optimistic

I love optimism but only as long as it isn’t overdone to the point of resulting in too much disappointment if what you desire doesn’t occur. It should be grounded in reality. I mean I’d be somewhat disappointed as a cold lover if the cold doesn’t get here by early January, sure. But it wouldn’t be that big a deal. That’s the thing about a constant extreme hyper like Bastardi. If one places too much faith in his extreme predictions, it increases the chance of having a harder time with the cold prediction not verifying.

I love optimism but only as long as it isn’t overdone to the point of resulting in too much disappointment if what you desire doesn’t occur. It should be grounded in reality. I mean I’d be somewhat disappointed as a cold lover if the cold doesn’t get here by early January, sure. But it wouldn’t be that big a deal. That’s the thing about a constant extreme hyper like Bastardi. If one places too much faith in his extreme predictions, it increases the chance of having a harder time with the cold prediction not verifying.
JB must need those subscriptions lol. So many free sites for weather now. Cautiously optimistic is what I really mean

Reactions: Webberweather53
Good grief at some of these numbers out of NW Canada
View attachment 96976
I watch those Alaskan shows where they show different folks off the grid living in central,northern Alaska above and around the artic circle. Not the Brown Family.
I see that Map and wonder how they keep their sanity in Dec,Jan. Hardly no sunlight, brutal Cold. They never film them during that time. I envy them the rest of year out pioneering it , working outside all day,hunting ,fishing in order to survive

I’m going to sound weenie here but the 0Z GFS has been coming in significantly colder vs prior runs through practically the entire run through hour 270!

Check out the North Atlantic. It appears to me that the 0Z is so much colder due to new blocking out there that wasn’t in prior runs.

To clarify, most of the run isn’t actually cold/BN, but it isn’t as warm as most recent runs on a good number of days. Baby steps?

Last edited:
Looking at the 500mb, it shows a cold lobe in Canada, causing confluence. However, a ridge comes into place behind the front and a warm layer could be introduced. The p-type could actually turn out to be rain to sleet or a winter mix, depending on how the temp. profiles play out. I think the p-type is a fluke on this particular run. We'll see what the GEFS tells - still lots of time.
2fe2a7844cc2d207ea39ef7f6013dbc6.jpg

Reactions: accu35
Is the 0Z GFS going to top all of that and try to start bringing the mother load of the W Canada brutal air at least down into the N Plains/Rockies? Prior runs were doing nothing of the sort this early.

Last edited:
Interesting late in 0Z EPS has the brutal W Canada cold start dropping into the N Rockies/Plains with what appears to be a negative EPO with ridging into Alaska. This ain’t zonal anymore like on pretty recent runs. This is the first step in getting this strong Arctic to to drop into the US and this run has that starting as early as 12/18 by a few members and by 12/20 by the bulk of the remainder, with many members having a 1040-50+ surface high pushing it down:

H5: big step in the right direction!
1F0BFF83-D797-4FE8-A113-4AA50CCDE75E.png

2M temperature anomalies still showing coldest on the globe in a massive area over W Canada and now entering the N Rockies to N Plains:

1961B422-5A24-42B2-A0AE-8F3AABFC89AA.png