• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

Daily CFS says pattern change early jan View attachment 96954View attachment 96955

This at least appears to be colder (based on these H5 maps) than not only the 6Z and 0Z (neither of which got it that cold down into the SE) but also the impressively cold 18Z CFS that I posted last night. These maps suggest the Midwest and NE US would likely be frigid and the SE would again be at the bottom of the cold where Miller A winter storm(s) could potentially form along the Arctic boundary. The coldest CFS runs have been suggesting like this one that there’d be two separate Arctic plunges.
Do you have 2 meter temps for those two periods?

Last edited:
This WAA regime screams elevated thunderstorms with a large inversion/steep mid level lapse rates on top, all points to production of a few hundred joules of MUcape > convection, esp given how WAA typically overpeforms, the same can be said for elevated instability in this sort of setup 2DB6F154-3C38-4379-833B-362CE9457474.png
C0C7F127-D1FB-4B9B-BA55-0BBF80603859.pngF3ECDCA4-7A7A-4E44-80DF-8A3BEAE39680.pngF1BFB790-1854-4803-AD01-CE79A822A632.png

This at least appears to be colder (based on these H5 maps) than not only the 6Z and 0Z (neither of which got it that cold down into the SE) but also the impressively cold 18Z CFS that I posted last night. These maps suggest the Midwest and NE US would likely be frigid and the SE would again be at the bottom of the cold where Miller A winter storm(s) could potentially form along the Arctic boundary. The coldest CFS runs have been suggesting like this one that there’d be two separate Arctic plunges.
Do you have 2 meter temps for those two periods?
4C6A9C73-5E23-4415-9D3E-C35511406EBA.pngAF765B09-E1F4-443A-9D14-BD8CA5F13DDF.png

don’t understand why some in the NE are saying a flatter trend makes no sense, the pattern does not support amplification at all, typically with +NAOs, the flow is sped up and fast, hence faster flow, and sheared waves are favored over juicy amped systems

Thanks, fro! So, at least compared to my 2m 18Z CFS maps, the first map (for 12/30-1/5) is MUCH colder in the entire E US with what looks like possible record cold for @Tarheel1 to Chicago (that literally shows a whopping 20-25 BN for a full week though I sometimes wonder about WeatherBell maps in their details). This map suggests a potential Gulf Miller A winter storm.

The 2nd map is about as it was on the 18Z in the SE and Midwest but is much colder/frigid over the NE, perhaps suggesting the chance for a CAD based winter storm if that frigid air is tapped via a wedge.

This time we will have dry air involved and a more CAD process these tend to trend colder but we will see of course
We said that for much of last winter with CADs and they opposite actually happened, and the NAM was often to aggressive with how cold the CADs were, now them Hanging around is a different story

Back