• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

What a trio!!!

giphy.gif
All three of those years got fairly chilly in January

We truly do suck, we trend to this at a range where it’s to late for us but not for VA, wintertime is just a season of torture
Y’all will get it at some point, just pray that some people on this board can get a win before the torch ?

We truly do suck, we trend to this at a range where it’s to late for us but not for VA, wintertime is just a season of torture
Yeah it's disappointing I wouldn't be totally surprised to see this bounce back a little north as we get closer to hour 0 which will be better for rain

It’s just a barrage of low pressure systems diving into Alaska and the coastal mountains of western Canada churning that cold in all the wrong places. Those areas are modeled in record cold territory while we experience the opposite.

Do you mean Jan '96, '99 and '13?

If so, what you say isn't exactly true for '99 and '13. They were cooler than the prior month, but still above average and certainly no extreme cold.

View attachment 96922

View attachment 96923

Jan '96 was indeed chilly across the NE 2/3rd of the country, but the extreme negative anomalies were over the Northern Plains.

We interrupt this Negative Nelly fest with the following map from the 12Z GEFS showing H5 that is quite a bit different vs earlier runs. The change starts late next week and shows the typical uncertainty out just past day 10.

The strong cold/coldest on the planet keeps showing up on all ensemble means in W Canada source region while the US is very mild.

3C316EB1-6932-4F3D-94B3-4C5D43CFBE7D.png92AE9611-0922-4B39-9603-5030C4D2A17C.png

So, the message remains that the ante is likely going to be way up as far as cold potential for the C US within 2 weeks and the E US within 3. Dec will almost certainly end up a very mild month in the E US. I’ve got my shorts ready. That’s been known for a few days. The uncertainty is for afterward.

Last edited:
End of 12Z GEFS suggesting drastic pattern change quite possible late month:

View attachment 96933

And look at how cold is the W Canada source region that could easily be tapped, especially if the MJO cooperates:

View attachment 96935

I think the GEFS has the right idea, but it's likely much too progressive w/ handing off the MJO into the W Hem which speeds up the pattern change vs what it probably would/should be. I think we probably wait until at least the last week of December/after Christmas for significant & consistent changes for the better.

Back