Pattern December to Remember

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
It's JUST right after this time frame we turn it around... Remember! lol. But that is a ugly looking map, A lot of cold to the NW that should push, slosh, or jump to the SE in time.

That modeled cold late in the 6Z GFS run is the coldest on the planet then and is hinted at by all of the ensemble means for around that time. At the very least, our primary source region of NW Canada is then frigid with sub -40F in spots. Here’s a global perspective and it is then moving SE031C6517-2D26-426B-8A1C-382EECC333AA.png:

That modeled cold late in the 6Z GFS run is the coldest on the planet then and is hinted at by all of the ensemble means for around that time. At the very least, our primary source region of NW Canada is then frigid with sub -40F in spots. Here’s a global perspective and it is then moving SEView attachment 96887:
Again. That’s 6z run way out fantasy …

Reactions: GaWx
Again. That’s 6z run way out fantasy …

Indeed. I’m weenieing out no doubt. But this is fantasizing supported by the last few ensemble means fwiw:

6Z GEFS 384 has coldest on planet in W Canada and it is large, too:

554FE6D3-A2DF-4773-9B1B-9D1D358075EF.png

Even the 0Z EPS has it sticking out like a frost bitten thumb at its end, 30 hours earlier:

319EC402-94BC-48F2-AC63-67AC85F68237.png

It is all about the primary source region for our coldest airmasses getting frigid.

Last edited:

Extreme warmth sometimes precedes extreme cold. I love to follow extremes on both sides even though I strongly prefer the cold. This month has a chance to be one of the warmest Decembers on record. Will be fun to follow. This would also set up the US for the chance for one of the coldest shifts on record from one month to the next. This could potentially set us up for a near normal winter in which the mean hides the reality of ridiculous extremes on both ends.

Going to be some big time CADS in our future if we have this level of cold to play with View attachment 96898

This 0Z CFS is actually a much warmer run for the US than the 18Z, which is what I posted last night. Looking forward to see what the 6Z shows as they jump like crazy from one run to the next. Yes, I’m an extreme weenie this morning. It must have been from my bran flakes.

Extreme warmth sometimes precedes extreme cold. I love to follow extremes on both sides even though I strongly prefer the cold. This month has a chance to be one of the warmest Decembers on record. Will be fun to follow. This would also set up the US for the chance for one of the coldest shifts on record from one month to the next. This could potentially set us up for a near normal winter in which the mean hides the reality of ridiculous extremes on both ends.

As long as it happens the same way November 2021 did, then whatever.

I actually enjoy having power and heat at my place.

Here's just a little of Joe D'Aleo post from Saturday.

QBO easterly argues for cold periods. Key levels are 30-45mb.

Screen_Shot_2021_12_04_at_12_26_11_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2021_12_04_at_12_32_39_PM.png

We will see this 'boot' of cold this winter. Many analogs had the cold early, others later when the stratosphere warms.

Screen_Shot_2021_12_04_at_12_31_53_PM.png

Then we could see major snow events that make the list. The October bomb could be a model then. The fall storms are often 'tells'.

So don't fret and don't whine just get your cold forecast where I get mine! And I'll be back on Christmas Day!
This says that fall storms are often tells, well I hate to break it to ya, but there was a very definite and noticeable lack of fall storms.