• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

Check out this site, espeacilly mtn posters. Current freezing level at 12,000ft, forecasted to fall below 3,000 ft late weekend.

It used to be that plain rain was evil once into met winter. Not anymore! Most want it now. Of course, about the only kind of rain I ever get down here is plain but I digress.

Well, Ryan’s map above tells me the Bleaklies will likely be dominated by bleak. However, I’ll still be looking for a silver lining late Dec and the first half of January as his maps don’t break it down that much.
They look like the same map copy pasted each day. The control though good grief that'll send you through every emotion possible

In addition to the warmth, it's looking to be dry-ish here.

Gonna have to watch those shortwaves that buckle through though, as they could pose a conditional severe weather threat. Moisture return and daytime heating (with the low clouds) won't be all that great, but there will be steep mid-level lapse rates and decent shear.

Patience will be the key we will get a good pattern eventually .. I’d rather it not be in December .. let’s see how many CADs we can rack up during this boring pattern
Odds are we even out the number of days between warm upper 60's and low 70 days and cold 40 degree cloudy and dreary CAD days. Now those west of the mountains are probably going to bake at least through the next 10 days. I am not willing to go beyond that because these models are not very good outside of 4 or 5 days but most seem dead set on the SER at least through the next 10 so we will see how that turns out.

What are the chances this winter is similar to the 89-90 winter, minus the arctic outbreak at the end of December? That was also a second year Nina, I think. Winter was non existent that year after the Christmas blizzard.

Odds are we even out the number of days between warm upper 60's and low 70 days and cold 40 degree cloudy and dreary CAD days. Now those west of the mountains are probably going to bake at least through the next 10 days. I am not willing to go beyond that because these models are not very good outside of 4 or 5 days but most seem dead set on the SER at least through the next 10 so we will see how that turns out.

The cooler 12z euro (still warm) only has 1-2 CAD days to several 60/70 degree days2CA27027-E8E3-4B57-B58D-9C82F652D0A0.png

the GFS has something similar as well with some dec 7-8th CAD50FAAD79-521B-4416-AC82-2338206554BE.png
Doesn’t seem very “even” to me, the CAD is mad weak per current models. Everyone is getting the torch bud ain’t no escaping the dec weenie roast

Late 70's into the early 80's was full of big storms here....I remember 79 being the first year I can really remember playing in deep snow I was 7, then 1980-1990 was bigtime with 4-5 big events an lots of smaller ones and a few monster ice storms....
The winter of 1978-79 was great in upstate SC too, with an icestorm and a good bit of snow. 1981-82 was great too with an icestorm just before New Years Day, followed about 10 days days later by VERY cold weather and then back to back snowstorms. A very strong El Nino caused the winter of 1982-83 to be great too with several events followed by the big March 24 snowstorm. Great winters then took a break until 1986-87 which was great along and northwest of I-85 in SC and NC. We all know what happened in Jan 7 1988, making that winter great. 1988-89 was not great here, with only the only big event, the big mid Feb icestorm, but of course eastern NC scored big on Feb 24 1989. The one gave me about 2 inches but would have been more if temps had been 3-4 degrees colder. Eastern NC then got that monster just before Christmas 1989 too.

What are the chances this winter is similar to the 89-90 winter, minus the arctic outbreak at the end of December? That was also a second year Nina, I think. Winter was non existent that year after the Christmas blizzard.
Can only happen in reverse IF models are right about Dec. Meaning a warm December and then maybe winter after that.

Back