• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

That was a good one. I remember local Mets tracked that one confiedently from 6-7 days out. Like it couldn’t miss.
That’s wild. Our guys around here blew it off big time. Saying just a few snow flurries. Ended up getting like 4-6 out of it. Hrrr nailed the event.

That’s wild. Our guys around here blew it off big time. Saying just a few snow flurries. Ended up getting like 4-6 out of it. Hrrr nailed the event.

Yeah, I was in La Fayette, GA visiting family and it was thought that we could see an inch of snow...well that inch ended up being more like 4 inches of snow and we got upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning about halfway through when the cat was out of the bag (although I'm sure most didn't mind).

Fun event.

I certainly don't think this was tracked from 15-16 days out though, which is when we saw that winter storm that was depicted on the 18z GFS today.

Last December, the city of Atlanta had temps of 32°or below 11 days out of the month. If this pattern holds…it could be 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's really wild is Baton Rouge has yet to reach 32 this season! Normally we'll hit that by late November. We got close a couple times, getting down to 34 one morning in mid November, but we have yet to hit the magic number. Maybe by year's end. :(

What's really wild is Baton Rouge has yet to reach 32 this season! Normally we'll hit that by late November. We got close a couple times, getting down to 34 one morning in mid November, but we have yet to hit the magic number. Maybe by year's end. :(

Wow…that’s amazing!

Interesting thread. If you believe Huffman, don’t get too excited about the MJO…

I don't think the MJO is supposed to go into a favorable cold phase for SE US weather until we get to Phase 7 or 8 anyway. The earliest that's supposed to occur is end of December, which means we shouldn't be surprised if this region isn't that cold for Christmas week.

I don't think DFW has officially yet either which is pretty crazy for them(some of the suburbs have but yeah not the airport or probably the immediate metro)

Meanwhile up here 4 hours north we've been well down into the 20s a few times already

Last edited:
I don't think the MJO is supposed to go into a favorable cold phase for SE US weather until we get to Phase 7 or 8 anyway. The earliest that's supposed to occur is end of December, which means we shouldn't be surprised if this region isn't that cold for Christmas week.
I don’t think you read his entire thread. Not saying I agree with him but he’s saying a pass through phases 7 8 1 hardly guarantees a cold pattern and even showed previous years where this mjo pass thru resulted in a mild se with all the cold focused west. Amplitude matters and some models are showing a weak wave entering 7-8

Back