• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

6 inches of sleet in GSP ?
1640628000-U5IgyNHEnxs.png
Accumulating sleet is so underrated.

Anyways, nice to see fantasy runs again over the last couple days. Looking forward to the MJO change that could get us into a favorable state as we get into the coldest time of the year which is January.

18z GFS was so close to a classic board wide pasting, IMO. Just needed that cold phasing to happen earlier, and a more southerly track on the gulf low. I'm still dreaming of a white Christmas, and I don't care if it's only on hour 360 of the 18Z operational GFS run.
GEFS does not support GFS whatsoever. The 18z GFS was just eye candy

What Ollie said. I've personally found having folks from outside of the region posting nice and if we grow more within the region or outside it'll be even more fun.

I mostly posted that to mess with a certain poster (who's a notorious cold weather weenie) that's been picking with me. ;)

I would love to get the GFS storm but that's just too far out to even consider at this point. Question I (realistically) have is do we have a cold Christmas, or not. We're still four to five days out before we start to get a clear(er) picture. Right now the latest GFS has this (Xmas morning):

aaaa1.jpg

GEFS does not support GFS whatsoever. The 18z GFS was just eye candy

I’d say almost everyone realizes that and that the odds of something similar on the next run are quite low, especially considering that this is way out on day 15-16 and that GEFS offered little support. Although I still think the best shot will not be til a week or so later, keep in mind @Webberweather53 stats showing a good number of NC winter storms during phase 7 in December.

KSAV high was 82, which is only 1 off the monthly record and the warmest since way back on October 22! It will likely be quite a long time before it gets that warm again, perhaps not for a month or more. Even tomorrow will be much cooler (~mid 60s, which is near normal).

I think the Christmas 2010 storm was first shown 10 days out, then went poof on the models and came back a few days before Christmas.
Yep, that's why a day 16 storm is nice to see but should be taken lightly (if at all). Heck I look at the CFS out to 30 days, but really anything past 12 days is extremely unreliable. Then getting to your point; we've seen that many times in the past. It seems a storm pops up in the 7-10 day range and then we lose it at day 5. Then slowly (if we get a storm) it starts to trend back favorable.

Ya'll keep dreaming of a White Christmas, or even White Flakes, Stick a fork in it, Not happening...

Unless it comes from Peru..

Back