• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December, Make analogs relevant again

This may have been mentioned today, if it was, I missed it. On the 12z Euro, a low pressure system comes up along the south along the frontal boundary from the cutter system at the end of the run as the deeper cold air is progressing south and east.

Last edited:
Yeah, that storm showing up on the Euro was a bonus. The main thing is the stage is being set for some possible fun in December and things still look good.

This exactly. I’m not worried right now about weather or not a snow storm shows up From run to run. Right now I’m just happy to see cold showing up in December for a change. To me any snow before January is a bonus! Unless you live somewhere around Indianapolis and points north of that December snow is usually a rarity.

Rooting for y'all ... don't wanna have to join you in a Gainesville cliff dive ... LOL ... ;)

This pattern definitely has that mid 1990s, 2013/14-2014-15 vibe to it. I think if we get a winter storm it'll probably be a CAD/Miller B event in the Carolinas w/ this classic precursor pattern featuring Pacific split flow & a deep SE Canada vortex. It's a signature pattern I've hammered over & over again on this forum that's immediately preceded most of the modern CAD/Miller B (ice) events here...
eps_z500a_nh_312.png

Virtually all of the winter storms in 1993-94, 2013-14, & 2014-15 were CAD or Miller B dominant here in the Carolinas and this pattern looks all too familiar...
U206GiYhVN.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 5.18.48 PM.png

Frontal boundary hanging through the GOM at hr. 192. We'll see what happens rather or not a low will come up along the frontal boundary.

I'll take suppression at any point, rather than hoping for the elusive SE trend!! Give me cold air and a warm gulf, and old front stalled, pants off

Siberian express will be operating at full capacity after next week as this monster and all too familiar North Pacific ridge begins to dominate the global pattern... If the SE Canada vortex is seeded with w/ Siberian air, next week's cold shots will be an appetizer of what's to come.
eps_mslp_anom_nh_300.png

Next Saturday is so cold on the 18z, highs are in the upper 30s/low 40s imby
gfs_T2m_seus_41.png

What I want to see, is a system come along the frontal boundary from the cutter system that tracks just below the strong northern stream (like what the 12z Euro from today is suggesting. The levels will have deeper air in place, and the surface temperatures will be colder. Thus, the snow ratios will be higher. If that occurs, the precipitation will probably start off as virga, but that will make the temps. fall even further, which would be good for the higher snowfall ratios. On the 18z GFS at hr. 168, you can see moisture spreading eastward from NM. That moisture is from the frontal boundary from the cutter. I think a whole new system will develop at the tail end of the boundary, and hopefully track right below the northern stream.

Back