• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December, Make analogs relevant again

Siberian express will be operating at full capacity after next week as this monster and all too familiar North Pacific ridge begins to dominate the global pattern... If the SE Canada vortex is seeded with w/ Siberian air, next week's cold shots will be an appetizer of what's to come.
View attachment 1659
you can see end of run trying to hammerer down on us with the much colder air.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_29.png
Wish timing were good here.

If that run is actually truthful, we're going to need coats when we head for LaFayette. Maybe a little luck and the energy holds back and we get snow? Haha doubtful.

gfs_T2m_us_53.png
Even tho the run was cold, this maybe what Webb was talking about with colder down the road. Below zero in places north of us, prob due to the fact of snow cover to but very cold. As others say, mid December looks POTENTIAL!!

I️ just wanted to pop in and say I️ love reading this stuff. Btw, here’s a legend: I️ = eye. Gotta update software. Thanks for everyone who posts. I’ll try to contribute more soon.

Eric Webber, you just sorta saved my butt on wxchallenge with that tweet. Can’t believe I️ even got in the forecast at 7:00:12 just 3 seconds before it closed. However, I️. Totally put in a bad high of 45 because I️ couldn’t remember what USL said lol. Still will probably get enough error points closely to if I️ just “Guidance” penality. This is ok though because I️ can’t miss a forecast or it screws up my grade lol.

That run looks like Dookies to me! Nice SE ridge! :(
Meh that monster vortex to its north would really mute a significant SE ridge. Thinking back to the winter's this decade that featured a similar look the models often tried to pump a SE ridge before trending SE and cooler in time. Maybe it won't work out that way but I'm not getting upset about a transient ridge at hour 312 on the 18z gfs when the hemispheric look says no. Even if you got a SE ridge response from a SW digging shortwave the wave would get sheared and as webb has said you get a Miller b look with wedging at the surface or an initial snow/mix to rain scenario

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

18z GEFS keeps the western ridge just off the west coast late in the run . Let's hope that's not a trend....

Don’t like seeing the ridging over Greenland slowly fading away as we get closer to verification. At least that’s what I️ saw on the gfs past few runs....

18z GEFS keeps the western ridge just off the west coast late in the run . Let's hope that's not a trend....

Don’t like seeing the ridging over Greenland slowly fading away as we get closer to verification. At least that’s what I️ saw on the gfs past few runs....

Folks,
There's been a whole lot of hype based on models lately; now maybe things are swinging back in another direction, trying to find a medium; or maybe the last run or few was/were simply an anomaly and we'll see 10 more cold runs in a row.
Bottom line IMHO is keep a positive outlook but don't hang your heart on a few model runs, either way.
Good night ... o_O
Phil

I'll take a true western ridge over the nao all day everyday. I honestly wouldn't care if the NAO goes positive . If we get a sustained -epo I'm good

Last edited:
Back