• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December Discussion

Look we all won't cold and snow . But we also have to be realistic.  We are not getting anything like the 18z gfs . While fun to look at, it's not happening . Looking at the different model runs from day to day is fun. But what the model shows at the surface isn't important at all. The actual 500 mb pattern is the most important thing. What happens at the surface is a direct result of the H5 pattern .

With that said , as many have pointed to for a while now mid month seems to be the first POSSIBLE wintry threat for the southeast. I still say that favors Arkansas, Tennessee and NC . A strong push of arctic air could very well set the stage for a nice overrunning event with a slight SW flow . The only thing I'm looking for over the next week is to see how the pacific shapes up. Does our ridge build and hold? The last thing we need is to have lower heights build over the GOA , if that happens we are screwed and will have to wait for yet another pattern shuffle.

The GFS , EURO and GEFS are all showing a cross polar flow allowing the true arctic air to spill south. Below is what we want see with the ridge, up and over the top . We need that to verify and hold.
37bee1557244a88052eddc45105a67e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If the Euro is anywhere close to the latest GFS run then I don't wanna hear any talk of "winter cancel" at all.

the fact that the models are showing extreme cold in our side of the world is very exciting

Storm5 link said:
the fact that the models are showing extreme cold in our side of the world is very exciting

Yes it is, gfs has been showing more cold for us, then not. Good signs still

12z gfs going nuts again. this is some of the coldest air we've had on our side of globe in a long time
501827fc7bcda9811857244873e13c73.jpg

The GFS has been consistent on future cold blasts. So has the Euro. Mid month is looking pretty interesting to say the least.

Another GFS run, another solution but holy hell the cross polar flow that's showing is amazing

Re: December Discussion

the great news is that a cross polar flow keeps showing and the cold is gonna stay on our side of the globe for a while . we will see different solutions from run to run , like the 12z gfs torches us post truncation. But man its hard not get excited about all the cold on our side of the world for once

Re: December Discussion

OMGD  the cold that starts in the upper midwest next week would absolutely historic . 50-70 degrees BELOW NORMAL!!!! Hot damn

Storm5 link said:
OMGD  the cold that starts in the upper midwest next week would absolutely historic . 50-70 degrees BELOW NORMAL!!!! Hot damn

Looks like it finally moved out of Russia!! Bring it! Kill the fire ants and mosquitos!

Close to a little something frozen for a few of us next week also, actually good HP placement and good storm track, if the high was tick stronger or had a little colder air to tap could be interesting for the CAD regions (the climo favored sections) possibly

Gotta give it to DT (seems he's getting better haha) .. he has a great video up and it's really helpful to those that don't quite understand different 500mb features and the potential pattern change that may come mid-month.  Around 5 min in, he gets into it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o0Dyx90yKA

I link this because 500mb is what matters.  Not the "systems and rain/snow lines" on the pretty maps.. as Storm has been saying.

Back