• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December Discussion

Storm5 link said:
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=2.msg2176#msg2176 date=1481826692]
[quote author=Brent link=topic=2.msg2174#msg2174 date=1481826559]
I'm up in North GA for the time being. I was really referring to the deep South like the I-20 corridor. That area seems to have really missed out on some very close calls and gotten screwed.

The 2014 snowpocalypse wasn't that long ago 
3 years is a decent amount of time without any snow.
[/quote]
off hand i kbow Atlanta had a nice storm in 2010 and 2014. both in the top 20 snows of all time for the city. I think wr have unrealistic expectations living in the SE . We are not gonna have good winters year after year 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
[/quote] yeah but back in the old days you could count on a good dusting nearly every year.  Times have changed.

Brent link said:
[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=2.msg2179#msg2179 date=1481826991]
[quote author=Brent link=topic=2.msg2177#msg2177 date=1481826755]
I'm up in North GA for the time being. I was really referring to the deep South like the I-20 corridor. That area seems to have really missed out on some very close calls and gotten screwed.

[/quote]

it is funny though, my parents have barely seen snow since I moved after that. Lol. But I can remember long stretches earlier in the 2000s that were far longer than this. Welcome to living in the deep south.
[/quote]
yep the early 2000s were much worse

[/quote]

2003-2009 just off the top of my head... this winter isn't even over yet so it's not even been 3 years yet. :-*

oh and Atlanta shutting down over an inch was the best storm ever...
[/quote] there were 2 or 3 good events between 2003 and 2009. The Jan 2005  ice storm. Also some areas in GA had an icestorm in Dec 2005 and also there were 2 snow events in Jan 2008. Some areas also got snow in March 2009. I would say that the stretch of winters from 2011-2016 is as bad as any stretch that I can recall for ATL ( not talking about the northern suburbs). Take away 13-14 and it's a 5 year stretch with no snow.

Just had a look at the 12z GFS.

It's back to a torch around Christmas, which is what it was showing for a while before it went away for a few days earlier. Ugh. At least its still well out there.

At least it's conveniently only around Christmas where there is a serious torch...heh heh *sniff*

I'd rather just have ho hum weather. 50s-60s (slight above if at all) and nothing out of the ordinary weather wise.

GeorgiaGirl link said:

It's back to a torch around Christmas, which is what it was showing for a while before it went away for a few days earlier. Ugh. At least its still well out there.

At least it's conveniently only around Christmas where there is a serious torch...heh heh *sniff*

I'd rather just have ho hum weather. 50s-60s (slight above if at all) and nothing out of the ordinary weather wise.
Low to mid 60's. Some people would kill for that. Doubt we will be that warm. GFS underestimating the wedge effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Storm5 link said:

[/quote]
off hand i kbow Atlanta had a nice storm in 2010 and 2014. both in the top 20 snows of all time for the city. I think wr have unrealistic expectations living in the SE . We are not gonna have good winters year after year 

[/quote]
Amen. The norm is little to no measurable snowfall. Just reality.

Honestly I shouldn't even be in this forum until mid January at the earliest. Anything wintery before then is exceedingly remote.

ATLWxFan link said:
Honestly I shouldn't even be in this forum until mid January at the earliest. Anything wintery before then is exceedingly remote.

join us early to hype up JAN, lol

ATLWxFan link said:

Umm, early January is a great time climatologically for Atlanta to get wintry precip. I can recall many early January wintry events. The last one being in January 2011.Also, don't forget the great snowstorm in January 2002 and there are many others.

ATLWxFan link said:
[quote author=GeorgiaGirl link=topic=2.msg2186#msg2186 date=1481828638]

Low to mid 60's. Some people would kill for that. Doubt we will be that warm. GFS underestimating the wedge effect.

[/quote]

For now at least I'd rather have ho hum weather instead of a torch or really cold weather. I'll worry about the potential for winter weather when we flip the calendar.

The Friday cold snap looks on track.

The temperature right now imby is 23 degrees at 1:52pm. Just two days from now temp is supposed reach near 70 with thunderstorms. Then the very next day a high of 29 with a chance of snow. Talk about some wild swings in the weather.

olhausen link said:
The temperature right now imby is 23 degrees at 1:52pm. Just two days from now temp is supposed reach near 70 with thunderstorms. Then the very next day a high of 29 with a chance of snow. Talk about some wild swings in the weather.
That's enough to make anyone sick  :-\

SoutheastRidge link said:
[quote author=ATLWxFan link=topic=2.msg2190#msg2190 date=1481829494]

Umm, early January is a great time climatologically for Atlanta to get wintry precip. I can recall many early January wintry events. The last one being in January 2011.Also, don't forget the great snowstorm in January 2002 and there are many others.
[/quote]

Sure...it happens. No question. Highest chance of snow is January 21st to February 8th, historically. Only 4 of the top 20 snowfalls were before January 15th.

I'll gladly take an early January snowfall though!

Storm5 link said:
not sure why anyone is even concerned with the NAO at this point given the last few years. I honestly could care less at this point. if it goes negative later in winter , great . If it stays positive,  great. I've scored more without a -NAO in the last 6 years vs with a -NAO

Positive NAO isn't the end of the world. As you stated most of us have scored w/o
a -NAO.

olhausen link said:

75 Saturday 21 Sunday morning with wind chills of 5 here.

and it's 38 right now... lol

Brent link said:
[quote author=olhausen link=topic=2.msg2194#msg2194 date=1481831753]

[/quote] You definitely don't see those kind of wild swings in GA. Not to that extent.

SoutheastRidge link said:
[quote author=Brent link=topic=2.msg2201#msg2201 date=1481833764]

[/quote] You definitely don't see those kind of wild swings in GA. Not to that extent.
[/quote]

this will be the biggest I've seen and I've been here over 2 years now

Before I moved here Dallas frequently would be in the 70s before a winter storm

Brent link said:
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=2.msg2205#msg2205 date=1481834823]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's quite a dramatic swing in temps. I was in Austin for a wedding several years ago and it went from 90 and sunny to 45 and rain. That was in fall and was called a blue norther from what the locals said.

GaStorm link said:
[quote author=Brent link=topic=2.msg2207#msg2207 date=1481835265]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's quite a dramatic swing in temps. I was in Austin for a wedding several years ago and it went from 90 and sunny to 45 and rain. That was in fall and was called a blue norther from what the locals said.
[/quote]

yeah I've heard of those before, never really seen one, but I know the record drop here is around 70 degrees.

GFS goes from 78 Saturday to 19 Sunday morning. If that verifies it'd be the warmest and coldest temps of the month back to back.

Brent link said:
[quote author=GaStorm link=topic=2.msg2209#msg2209 date=1481835579]
[quote author=Brent link=topic=2.msg2207#msg2207 date=1481835265]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah I've heard of those before, never really seen one, but I know the record drop here is around 70 degrees.

GFS goes from 78 Saturday to 19 Sunday morning. If that verifies it'd be the warmest and coldest temps of the month back to back.
[/quote]

Almost a 60 degree drop within 24 hours is insane! The only other place I have heard of huge temp swings even near that is Colorado. I'm sure other states may see big drops but that may be close to a record or something.

Back