• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December Discussion

Re: December Discussion

00z gfs pops an I interesting  coastal next Tuesday

as does the cmc
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re: December Discussion

what a fun gfs run at H5 . so many vorts flying around trying to dig
3da9e41ed58437f24ca80f290c6958d4.jpg
4d9b7ab35832c17a944e56708ba65e33.jpg

SD link said:
I'd love to be in Buffalo tonight

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I could only imagine what it'd be like living somewhere that gets that much snow. I'm sure lots of people would get sick of it but not me. I absolutely love the cold and I'm usually outside way more during winter then summer.

olhausen link said:
[quote author=SD link=topic=2.msg2090#msg2090 date=1481764063]

I could only imagine what it'd be like living somewhere that gets that much snow. I'm sure lots of people would get sick of it but not me. I absolutely love the cold and I'm usually outside way more during winter then summer.
[/quote]

I've thought about it before, but I think it'd get old quick. I just want to move somewhere where snow is at least guaranteed to happen once a winter. Even Oklahoma is better than this lol

Although Denver has intrigued me before but it seems everyone is moving to Denver lol

Brent link said:
[quote author=olhausen link=topic=2.msg2120#msg2120 date=1481785074]

[/quote]

I've thought about it before, but I think it'd get old quick. I just want to move somewhere where snow is at least guaranteed to happen once a winter. Even Oklahoma is better than this lol

Although Denver has intrigued me before but it seems everyone is moving to Denver lol
[/quote] I'm with you. I love snow but i think a lot of that has to do with the fact that it's such a novelty here. Living somewhere that snow was a way of life would probably make me view snow differently. I really don't like the idea of having to drive in snow, shovel snow, etc. To me, i think the I-40 corridor anywhere from Oklahoma City to Raleigh would be good because you are guaranteed snow every winter but you don't get enough snow to get sick of it.

SoutheastRidge link said:
[quote author=Brent link=topic=2.msg2121#msg2121 date=1481786496]
[quote author=olhausen link=topic=2.msg2120#msg2120 date=1481785074]

[/quote]

[/quote] I'm with you. I love snow but i think a lot of that has to do with the fact that it's such a novelty here. Living somewhere that snow was a way of life would probably make me view snow differently. I really don't like the idea of having to drive in snow, shovel snow, etc. To me, i think the I-40 corridor anywhere from Oklahoma City to Raleigh would be good because you are guaranteed snow every winter but you don't get enough snow to get sick of it.
[/quote]

Cost of living in Oklahoma is a lot less too... I research it more than I care to admit lol. One thing I do hate about Dallas the most is how expensive it is to live around here. It's impossible to live on your own in the metroplex with my income. Sooner or later something will give on that. Luckily right now I live 5 minutes from work(with roommates) so it's not really an issue.

On this date back in 1930, a massive, multi-day snowstorm struck much of North Carolina. A cold air damming (CAD) high setup over the northeastern US & mid-Atlantic & a weak coastal low developed off the Carolinas late on the 16th & 17th, causing light-moderate mixed wintry precipitation to break out late on the 15th & 16th, and heavier precipitation became evident on the 17th as the coastal low approached & passed NC. The heaviest snows were reported in the northern piedmont, where as much as 2 feet of snow fell on Roxboro, NC & Reidsville. A mix of rain & snow occurred from the Triangle area & points south & east towards the coastal plain.
December-15-18-1930-NC-Snowmap.png

These are a few surface maps (via NOAA 20CRv2) over the course of this storm.
1930121700.gif

1930121800.gif

SD link said:
Not much excitement in those 0z runs but at least some interesting looks around Christmas
just affraid that system Shane around Xmas.  Be cold chasing moisture ...  We're not getting enough energy from these waves to dig enough south to provide quality deep cold air with abundant moisture ... I myself pretty much punting December to be honest  hope January better. Though I thjnk j it starts off pooping the bed first half of it

tennessee storm link said:
[quote author=SD link=topic=2.msg2136#msg2136 date=1481814557]
Not much excitement in those 0z runs but at least some interesting looks around Christmas
just affraid that system Shane around Xmas.  Be cold chasing moisture ...  We're not getting enough energy from these waves to dig enough south to provide quality deep cold air with abundant moisture ... I myself pretty much punting December to be honest  hope January better. Though I thjnk j it starts off pooping the bed first half of it
[/quote]

Yeah I don't have much of an expectation for the rest of the month. Just some wedge potential maybe a little wrap around for Christmas nothing that big. I think that our best window is going to be mid January possibly pushing into late Jan. We should see another nice pacific ridge and I am hopeful that we can finally turn the NAO. We shall see

SD link said:
[quote author=tennessee storm link=topic=2.msg2140#msg2140 date=1481815546]
[quote author=SD link=topic=2.msg2136#msg2136 date=1481814557]
[/quote]

Yeah I don't have much of an expectation for the rest of the month. Just some wedge potential maybe a little wrap around for Christmas nothing that big. I think that our best window is going to be mid January possibly pushing into late Jan. We should see another nice pacific ridge and I am hopeful that we can finally turn the NAO. We shall see
[/quote]
We have moisture and we have cold. Let's see if we can get the low to dig. I mean it's ALL we have right now. As it stands, wrap around is the biggest farce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little delayed but our now after Christmas moisture chasing cold is still there
170eb36371dcc10fd174cf478581dc0d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD link said:
The slight PNA rise after Christmas makes me want to have interest.....reality makes me not
Yeah it tries for a little bit that run . blocking trying to establish around Alaska as well. but as we see daily , it's just another possible solution from the gfs

Storm5 link said:
[quote author=SD link=topic=2.msg2151#msg2151 date=1481821443]
The slight PNA rise after Christmas makes me want to have interest.....reality makes me not
Yeah it tries for a little bit that run . blocking trying to establish around Alaska as well. but as we see daily , it's just another possible solution from the gfs

[/quote]

I would almost be inclined to believe OPs over ensemble means right now given how active things are....either way its hard to find what I'm looking for

PNA: Slighty negative but it turns to Positive (good)
AO: Positive but starts to go down to negative (good)
NAO: Negative but starts to go a positive (bad)
With the positive PNA, it starts to get a little more conductive for winter weather.

Back