• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December Discussion

not sure why anyone is even concerned with the NAO at this point given the last few years. I honestly could care less at this point. if it goes negative later in winter , great . If it stays positive,  great. I've scored more without a -NAO in the last 6 years vs with a -NAO

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Storm5 link said:
not sure why anyone is even concerned with the NAO at this point given the last few years. I honestly could care less at this point. if it goes negative later in winter , great . If it stays positive,  great. I've scored more without a -NAO in the last 6 years vs with a -NAO

So at this point is a PNA more important than a NAO?

Another thing, why is this pattern so fast? I go from rain yesterday, to cold and 40s today, to 70s on Saturday.

I heard JB punted January for the east !? Y'all better prepare for a lot of cold and snow!!

RollTide18 link said:
[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=2.msg2156#msg2156 date=1481823210]

Another thing, why is this pattern so fast? I go from rain yesterday, to cold and 40s today, to 70s on Saturday.
[/quote]
No blocking and a bad pacific! Keeps things changeable and why we have to have perfect timing with a cold shot and moisture. Very transient pattern, progressive.

Storm5 link said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Pac has tenfold more influence on our fate as far as winter weather prospects go. Atlantic is the last peice of the puzzle that we can survive with or without 9 times out of 10. But you go monkeying with the pacific and it's long winter in the SE.

Tarheel1 link said:
[quote author=RollTide18 link=topic=2.msg2158#msg2158 date=1481824391]

[/quote]
No blocking and a bad pacific! Keeps things changeable and why we have to have perfect timing with a cold shot and moisture. Very transient pattern, progressive.
[/quote]
yep and I've scored alot in the last 6 years . a progressive pattern is fine with me. those with the mindset that you have to have a -NAO are in for a long three months . I -NAO is more important for eastern regions like south and north Carolina vs areas west of the apps. we can do fine with inland runners and app runners

NCSNOW link said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Pac has tenfold more influence on our fate as far as winter weather prospects go. Atlantic is the last peice of the puzzle that we can survive with or without 9 times out of 10. But you go monkeying with the pacific and it's long winter in the SE.
[/quote]
great post . agree 100 percent

Storm5 link said:
[quote author=Tarheel1 link=topic=2.msg2160#msg2160 date=1481824520]

[/quote]
[/quote]
yep and I've scored alot in the last 6 years . a progressive pattern is fine with me. those with the mindset that you have to have a -NAO are in for a long three months . I -NAO is more important for eastern regions like south and north Carolina vs areas west of the apps. we can do fine with inland runners and app runners

[/quote]

You have to have the pacific in play unless you live in the CAD regions that might score with a crap pacific but a -NAO. I'm sure weber and larry might have some stats

Storm5 link said:

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote] consider yourself very lucky. Most people in the deep South have not scored much at all the last 5 winters.

SD link said:
[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=2.msg2162#msg2162 date=1481824697]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You have to have the pacific in play unless you live in the CAD regions that might score with a crap pacific but a -NAO. I'm sure weber and larry might have some stats
[/quote]
to its the most  basic winter rule living in the SE especially my area that you taught me years ago. Pacific  , pacific ,pacific. I'd rather have a cooperating Pacific vs Atlantic any day of the week .

Obviously the NAO helps as it slows the pattern and helps with the storm track , I'm not saying I'll complain if it ever does establish itself.

But a progressive flow isn't the end of the world if the spacing is correct.  Obviously your depending on timing but hell, it's worked out well over the few years

SoutheastRidge link said:

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote] consider yourself very lucky. Most people in the deep South have not scored much at all the last 5 winters.
[/quote]
where do you live

Storm5 link said:
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=2.msg2165#msg2165 date=1481825353]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
where do you live

[/quote] I'm up in North GA for the time being. I was really referring to the deep South like the I-20 corridor. That area seems to have really missed out on some very close calls and gotten screwed.

I'm up in North GA for the time being. I was really referring to the deep South like the I-20 corridor. That area seems to have really missed out on some very close calls and gotten screwed.

The 2014 snowpocalypse wasn't that long ago  :p

Brent link said:
I'm up in North GA for the time being. I was really referring to the deep South like the I-20 corridor. That area seems to have really missed out on some very close calls and gotten screwed.

3 years is a decent amount of time without any snow.

[quote author=Brent link=topic=2.msg2174#msg2174 date=1481826559]

[/quote]

it is funny though, my parents have barely seen snow since I moved after that. Lol. But I can remember long stretches earlier in the 2000s that were far longer than this. Welcome to living in the deep south.

The 2014 snowpocalypse wasn't that long ago 
[/quote]
off hand i kbow Atlanta had a nice storm in 2010 and 2014. both in the top 20 snows of all time for the city. I think wr have unrealistic expectations living in the SE . We are not gonna have good winters year after year 

Brent link said:
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=2.msg2176#msg2176 date=1481826692]

[/quote]

it is funny though, my parents have barely seen snow since I moved after that. Lol. But I can remember long stretches earlier in the 2000s that were far longer than this. Welcome to living in the deep south.
[/quote]
yep the early 2000s were much worse

Brent link said:

[/quote]

it is funny though, my parents have barely seen snow since I moved after that. Lol. But I can remember long stretches earlier in the 2000s that were far longer than this.
[/quote] well If it weren't for the winter of 2014 then it would be like a 5 year stretch without snow in ATL. 11-12, 12-13, 14-15, 15-16 were awful years with just one good year sandwiched in between. It's been a very bad decade overall since 2011-12.

Brent link said:

one of my favorites

Storm5 link said:
[quote author=Brent link=topic=2.msg2177#msg2177 date=1481826755]

[/quote]

[/quote]
yep the early 2000s were much worse

[/quote]

2003-2009 just off the top of my head... this winter isn't even over yet so it's not even been 3 years yet. :-*

oh and Atlanta shutting down over an inch of snow was the best storm ever... proves right there they aren't some snow alley. :-*

Back