• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December Discussion

That's something I've noticed with the GFS over the years, it's gotten better at not teasing you. Usually if there is actually a storm threat, it's going to stick and you'll be able to tell.

December usually isn't a big winter weather threat month historically so it starting out how it has is not surprising, the good news is, it's actually been somewhat cold at times.

So basically after saturday morning's possible "event", there's nothing in the models in the long term for North GA?

Storm5 link said:
[quote author=NorthGaWinter link=topic=2.msg2077#msg2077 date=1481755816]
Year of the cutter.... :mad:
a week and a half into winter lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Nothing like a good cutter to bring a nice cold rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthGaWinter link said:
Year of the cutter.... :mad:

I would bet that most winters, especially non-El Nino, have a good number of cutters. This is just the start. So, I'd expect a good many more this winter regardless of whether or not north Ga gets a major winter storm this winter.

SD link said:
I'd love to be in Buffalo tonight

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Yeah, that's bucket-list stuff!! Probably would get old every winter though!?? Lol

bigstick10 link said:
[quote author=Brent link=topic=2.msg2070#msg2070 date=1481753935]
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=2.msg2043#msg2043 date=1481740103]
Brent, I am considering moving to the Dallas area very soon and was wondering if you could give me information on what winters are like there. I'm guessing I wouldn't have to worry about the SE ridge as much. Also, it seems like TX  is usually in a more favorable location for wintry weather than GA and it seems like in general the weather there is more changeable and interesting. Also, what about humidity in summer. Is it more tolerable than in the southeast ?

Honestly I hate half the year here. Summer drags on entirely too long Lol. It is more of a dry heat but its still hot. At night it can stay in the 80s. It can hit 100 in april and october and usually does it at least 20 or 30 times a summer. Spring and fall can be eventful but also can just be more summer. Winters are hit and miss like I've said before historically it really isn't any better than Atlanta is. We get more ice than snow here usually if it does come down to it. It also is not uncommon to be 75 for a week in the winter. We are more prone to extreme temperature drops but that doesn't equal snow. If I was moving somewhere for snow I'd move elsewhere that's for sure.
[/quote]

You both have a lot to learn.  Seriously moving to Dallas to get ''winter", LMAO.
[/quote]

Lol trust me I didn't come here for the winters...

Re: December Discussion

Tarheel1 link said:
[quote author=SD link=topic=2.msg2090#msg2090 date=1481764063]

Yeah, that's bucket-list stuff!! Probably would get old every winter though!?? Lol
[/quote]
After this summer I'll take buffalo winters, If we don't see 95+ for 10 years I'll be good

bigstick10 link said:
Brent, I am considering moving to the Dallas area very soon and was wondering if you could give me information on what winters are like there. I'm guessing I wouldn't have to worry about the SE ridge as much. Also, it seems like TX  is usually in a more favorable location for wintry weather than GA and it seems like in general the weather there is more changeable and interesting. Also, what about humidity in summer. Is it more tolerable than in the southeast ?

Honestly I hate half the year here. Summer drags on entirely too long Lol. It is more of a dry heat but its still hot. At night it can stay in the 80s. It can hit 100 in april and october and usually does it at least 20 or 30 times a summer. Spring and fall can be eventful but also can just be more summer. Winters are hit and miss like I've said before historically it really isn't any better than Atlanta is. We get more ice than snow here usually if it does come down to it. It also is not uncommon to be 75 for a week in the winter. We are more prone to extreme temperature drops but that doesn't equal snow. If I was moving somewhere for snow I'd move elsewhere that's for sure.
[/quote]

You both have a lot to learn.  Seriously moving to Dallas to get ''winter", LMAO.
[/quote] I never said I was moving to Dallas to get "winter". I might be moving there for a job opportunity and was wondering what the weather is like from someone who actually lives there. The proximity to tornado alley would be interesting and might be fun to go on a chase.  I know Dallas doesn't get snow every winter but compared to GA, the weather just seems more interesting overall except probably in summer where it stays hot and dry in Dallas much of the time.

Brent link said:
[quote author=bigstick10 link=topic=2.msg2074#msg2074 date=1481755189]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol trust me I didn't come here for the winters...
[/quote] Well, I'm sure a lot of people do come to Dallas for winters ( to get away from the cold and snow). But the job market just seems so good in Texas compared to most of the country, so that's why i'm looking into possibly moving there. Lots of opportunity in Texas and cheap cost of leaving overall. And no INCOME TAX right ? This should probably go in banter lol.

Its usually either one extreme or another here either it doesn't rain for seemingly months or were getting destroyed by hail tornadoes or flooding. Snow is a freakshow just like it is in Atlanta.  :p

But yeah this is straying off topic lol

Tarheel1 link said:
[quote author=SD link=topic=2.msg2090#msg2090 date=1481764063]

[/quote]

There's a few lightning strikes in that band.

Brent link said:
Its usually either one extreme or another here either it doesn't rain for seemingly months or were getting destroyed by hail tornadoes or flooding. Snow is a freakshow just like it is in Atlanta.  :p

It definitely seems like Dallas has more extremes than Atlanta. Being in the middle of the country is probably why i'm guessing. Oh and i'm sure that stupid Southeast Ridge isn't as big of a factor in Dallas.

SD link said:

Made me look, webcams. The life of the buffalo snowweenie. He actually prays for the southwest wind. Us we pray for the ne wind so we can luck up and see freezing drizzle accumulate to a tenth of an inch on a dogwood tree.

SoutheastRidge link said:
[quote author=Brent link=topic=2.msg2097#msg2097 date=1481765214]

It definitely seems like Dallas has more extremes than Atlanta. Being in the middle of the country is probably why i'm guessing. Oh and i'm sure that stupid Southeast Ridge isn't as big of a factor in Dallas.
[/quote]

No but we have our very own death ridge in the summer some years so...

Maybe I just have very low standards but last year we were tracking tornadoes on Christmas so if I could even just get a chilly rain or a cool drizzly day around Christmas I would call it a win! Anything but shorts and flips flops!

Back