• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December Discussion

GaWx link said:
[quote author=SD link=topic=2.msg501#msg501 date=1481145177]
This is realistically the coldest first half of December since 2010

1) Good point. I'll go one further and say that there is almost no way that the first half of Dec. of 2016 won't easily be the coldest for the SE US as a whole since 2010.

2) ATL is about to have its single coldest Dec. day since 2010 and its biggest negative daily anomaly at least since Feb. of 2016. That is quite significant. However, a fair number of folks really only care about wintry precip., which is normally hard to get in Dec. (especially the first half). ATL has had only ~10" of SN/IP in total over the last 100 years in the first half of Dec., meaning an average of only 0.1"/first half of Dec. or only 5% of its total seasonal average. During that time, there was a major sleetstorm in 1918, the last time there was a major ATL DEC SN or IP. So, it is good to be realistic so as not to get hopes up too high. ATL has also had a couple of significant to major ZR's in the first half of Dec., but even that doesn't pick up in historical frequency til the last week of the month.
[/quote]

The only really other cold first half of December that I can remember is 05, looking back at some data it looks like 08 was pretty chilly too. This year should fall somewhere between 2005/2010

SD link said:
[quote author=GaWx link=topic=2.msg506#msg506 date=1481146007]

1) Good point. I'll go one further and say that there is almost no way that the first half of Dec. of 2016 won't easily be the coldest for the SE US as a whole since 2010.

2) ATL is about to have its single coldest Dec. day since 2010 and its biggest negative daily anomaly at least since Feb. of 2016. That is quite significant. However, a fair number of folks really only care about wintry precip., which is normally hard to get in Dec. (especially the first half). ATL has had only ~10" of SN/IP in total over the last 100 years in the first half of Dec., meaning an average of only 0.1"/first half of Dec. or only 5% of its total seasonal average. During that time, there was a major sleetstorm in 1918, the last time there was a major ATL DEC SN or IP. So, it is good to be realistic so as not to get hopes up too high. ATL has also had a couple of significant to major ZR's in the first half of Dec., but even that doesn't pick up in historical frequency til the last week of the month.
[/quote]

The only really other cold first half of December that I can remember is 05, looking back at some data it looks like 08 was pretty chilly too. This year should fall somewhere between 2005/2010
[/quote] December 09 had a pretty cold first half. 11 of the first 13 days in ATL had a high of 52 or lower. Also, Dec 00 had a pretty cold first half. One day the high was only 35 in Atlanta ! December 1995 is probably the coldest first half I can find. From Dec 1-15, 1995, the avg high in ATL was 46 and it got down to 12 degrees on 12-10-95.

SoutheastRidge link said:

[/quote] When was the last time if EVER, that ATL had a major snowstorm in the first half of December ? I've lived in GA my entire life and never recall even seeing snow on the ground before Dec 15. So really, any cold before Dec 15 in GA is wasted cold air.
[/quote]

1) It has been a very long time but 1917, 1896, and 1886 each had major snow and/or sleet in ATL during the first half of Dec. Tony (Dsaur) would have been in total ecstasy had he been around in 1917, when there was a big sleetstorm!

2) Think about this. There is a decent correlation between cold in Dec. and cold in Jan (see the general winter thread for the stats). So, whereas cold Dec air may get "wasted" as you put it, it is better that we get it than have a mild month for later winter cold prospects. Also, there are some folks who are looking forward to cold, even if dry, vs mild.

Re: December Discussion

[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=2.msg510#msg510 date=1481146798]
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=2.msg508#msg508 date=1481146315]

[/quote] When was the last time if EVER, that ATL had a major snowstorm in the first half of December ? I've lived in GA my entire life and never recall even seeing snow on the ground before Dec 15. So really, any cold before Dec 15 in GA is wasted cold air.
[/quote]
yet people would complain if it were hot in December vs cold

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
[/quote] I would complain if it were hot the second half of December, but the first half of December no matter how cold it is we literally never get snow or ice so its basically pointless.
[/quote]
so the only way you're happy in December is if it's cold and snowy. cold and no snow , not happy.......Warm and not happy

got it

[/quote]

[/quote] I would complain if it were hot the second half of December, but the first half of December no matter how cold it is we literally never get snow or ice so its basically pointless.
[/quote]

I would rather it be cold and dry in Dec. over a warm Dec. Plus a cold Dec. typically sets the stage for a better chance of a cold January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatalife link said:
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=2.msg511#msg511 date=1481146882]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would rather it be cold and dry in Dec. over a warm Dec. Plus a cold Dec. typically sets the stage for a better chance of a cold January.

[/quote]
don't worry the weeklies will crush that idea tomorrow night :)

Storm5 link said:
[quote author=whatalife link=topic=2.msg522#msg522 date=1481149392]
[quote author=SoutheastRidge link=topic=2.msg511#msg511 date=1481146882]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
don't worry the weeklies will crush that idea tomorrow night :)

[/quote]

I'm counting on it

Well, looking at the PNA/AO/NAO indices today, you can tell that the pattern is still not written in stone. They are all over the place in the next 2 weeks. This usually happens until they can get a better handle on what's going to happen with the PV and the Pacific.

Cad Wedge NC link said:
Well, looking at the PNA/AO/NAO indices today, you can tell that the pattern is still not written in stone. They are all over the place in the next 2 weeks. This usually happens until they can get a better handle on what's going to happen with the PV and the Pacific.
agree . no doubt we continue to see some wild swings especially in the 8-12 day period

18z gefs is gonna be a wennie special

with the midweek system next week and the system between the 16th-18th

Gfs sucks. It's only cold when it's not raining. Rain comes and we are in the 50's. This habit can be so damn frustrating sometimes

Cad Wedge NC link said:
Yep this whole evolution is interesting to watch with so many different variables that could have a significant effect on our weather in either direction

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

NorthGaWinter link said:
Gfs sucks. It's only cold when it's not raining. Rain comes and we are in the 50's. This habit can be so damn frustrating sometimes
gfs was great  a vast improvement in the 8-12 period and H5

I see overrunnig possible next week with that front. Models could grab hold of that here soon

18z gefs is all about a system in the 16th-18th period just like the eps

WSFA has us hitting a low of 23 tomorrow in Montgomery, if that verifies it would be the lowest temp since February 2015, wow.

Storm5 link said:

GFS vs Euro! It's like Ali vs Frazier

Tarheel1 link said:
[quote author=Storm5 link=topic=2.msg534#msg534 date=1481153161]

GFS vs Euro! It's like Ali vs Frazier
[/quote]
that ( the ensembles ) are actually in agreement , that's what I was saying in the post

Back