• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

3C2D3D5C-FD07-4E40-9068-CD45F30C60CA.png The 6z FV3, looks meh, High is stronger in the NE, but booking it out to sea!

Here's the very unrealistic snow map from the 6z fv3 GFS. Will this be the last one of these today or will the models swing back in our favor? Stay tuned...
fv3p_asnow_eus_39.png

Here's the very unrealistic snow map from the 6z fv3 GFS. Will this be the last one of these today or will the models swing back in our favor? Stay tuned...
fv3p_asnow_eus_39.png
It'll be back at lunch time and dinner time, then disappear again tonight.

The only "trend" I see from this storm is that the storm is a no go during every 00z and 06z GFS run and reels everyone back in during the 12z and 18z runs. It's happened the last three days. Surprised no one else has noticed it. Wouldn't give up on anything because there has been no real trend at all.
It does seem like the 12z and 18z suites of the GFS op are more realistic runs.

Our little clipper system is still alive and well. Going to be tough to get snow since boundary layer temps are the issue here but if we can get those to cooperate there could be some snow showers across the area.
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_20.png

upload_2018-11-30_9-17-9.png

There’s no real “trends” overnight, just a couple of bad Operational runs and the ensembles did go down in snowfall members (Euro slightly, not sure about GEFS but it appears it went down a lot) but moisture overall didn’t go down. For example, the mean QPF for RDU was 0.6” for both the 12z and 00z last night. The reason for less snow is probably temperature issues as the track of the s/w is similar on the last two eps runs.

If anything the ridge amplified a little.
1e642a86c4bf6470c1fc59ca0c3edbba.gif

The problem here is the confluence is already negatively tilted, so it’s swinging due east when our storm is approaching.

But you can see how the EPS compares to the 00z op here:
6ce54e6db2dc3d1ba997b4a3a4b0788d.gif

The confluence is neutral tilted and the storm sped up, with the shortwave over Kentucky instead of Louisiana, which is why the operational gives a snowfall just north of Kentucky.

Also, the GFS is just wrong here with the ridging stretching all the way to the NE...
5752ff7d7f6a522e7d8cb97798e76a52.jpg

There’s many reasons this won’t work out, but it’s not a toss yet as the ensembles are still holding on, and ensembles between suites (eps vs GEFS) are still too different to say they have a grasp of this system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, ensembles still look pretty good to me. Cold air is ALWAYS our problem and worry. However when the ensembles show a storm to my south on the gulf coast, in a split flow, and high pressure to my north between December and February, we're in the game at least. I think it's going to be a southern storm. I just don't know how strong the SE Canada vortex is going to be to provide the cold air. That'll be a question on into next week for sure.

ecmwf-ens_mslpaNorm_us_10.png

What are you taking about? That has by far the most members showing some snow in central AL or south of any run yet. It's beautiful.

Yeah it’s light but E2, E6, E13, E18, and E19 shows snow for Central Alabama. Even E20 give the southern part of the state some love with a bullseye in South Georgia.

6z gfs was better then 0z gfs. It had a decent track. But just not enough cold air to work with.
12z gfs has just started. Let’s see if it repeats from yesterday.

6z gfs was better then 0z gfs. It had a decent track. But just not enough cold air to work with.
12z gfs has just started. Let’s see if it repeats from yesterday.

I hope it's a hit because really, snow maps are just fun and bring me joy.

Really though I don't care about the GFS op. I want to see the ensembles keep the low on the gulf coast and I want to see high pressure over top. That's all I need through the weekend, then we can get into details under day 7.

clipper still looks healthy on the 12z gfs. temps an issue for clt but up in central nc it could switch to some snow showers. something to keep an eye on.

Back