• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe December 28th -new years possible severe weather event.

That’s not really a EML but just lots of dry air aloft, a EML typically has 6.5C+ lapse rates, lapse rates under 6C are very poor
Hmmph. I thought dry air aloft and eml where the same ?. I always looked at the 500mb area and see those jagged lines pushing to the west of the sounding and thought that correlated with a good EML. Does both no aid in more discreet convection, and loaded gun soundings?

Hmmph. I thought dry air aloft and eml where the same ?. I always looked at the 500mb area and see those jagged lines pushing to the west of the sounding and thought that correlated with a good EML. Does both no aid in more discreet convection, and loaded gun soundings?
Typically a EML has steep mid level lapse rates (near dry adiabatic lapse rate) and a cap within a area of dry desert airEABCCD78-6003-410F-95CC-14A3E3A3B963.gif
That sounding you posted just has dry air aloft, typically dry air aloft makes convection more discreet but increases the chance of damaging wind gusts/stronger downdrafts, given dry air entrainment creates evaporative cooling and downward momentum in thunderstorms, which is the process that results in microbursts. Basically dry air aloft means a high chance of downdraft/RFD dominated convection/supercells

Spc mentions they're holding off on added enchanced and a hatched 10% tornado risk because of uncertainty with the surface low. If this isnt eerie looking I don't know what is. 20211228_035604.jpg

Per the 12z hrrr. There's a decent little swath of updraft tracks in central Alabama I've been seeing this a few runs. My thinking is, that a enchanced area will be added in this corridor with the sig tornado chance. The Birmingham vicinity seems to be the sweet spot of both instability and shear as of right now.Screenshot_20211228-074559-599.png

How stupid 18z hrrr run was skipped over. Now I gotta wait til the 00z to see what tommorow a threat looks like on the hrrr ???

I feel like tommorows event will overproduce a bit. It already feels muggy outside so it's not going to take much for it to destabilize more. I think it's aiding in the intensity by this system being nocturnal cause it's really juicing out as much shear as it can coming during the night when shear increases.

Temp is 72 and dew point 66. That's muggy for a winter day. Me thinking out loud, but I wonder how well models are grasping the moisture. Seems to always be underdone and never do that well during the winter months. When it comes to instability.

If anything hopefully we can get a good amount of rain out of this system and the next. We could use some after how dry it has been the last few months.

Back