• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Dec 21-22 street light 18z nam fantasy probably not happening but starting the thread anyway storm

1671580800-AY0L2j9uhfI.png

The line keeps sinking south about 20-30 miles every run.

snku_acc.us_state_nc_va.png

Already printing out 1-2" totals and this is 100% an opportunity to over perform as FGEN forcing is generally under modeled ( see last years snow when 1-2" was being models but the upstate ended with 5-8" totals before a switch to sleet). I am not willing to make any call on totals yet, but if you keep trending like this, then this could quickly turn into a 2-4" mini surprise.

Please do not get your hopes up with this. It was really just one run of a long range nam that showed some snow. Something that has no support on any other model.
Difference is it's not the long range NAM anymore. You're well within the Nam's range at 48 hours. I'd like to see more support, but this is definitely a setup that has overperformed in years past. Not saying we score, but it has some legs IMO

Please do not get your hopes up with this. It was really just one run of a long range nam that showed some snow. Something that has no support on any other model.
From what I've seen most models have trended wetter and show precip in parts of the upstate and ne ga and parts of NC for this time frame. And temp profiles have gotten cooler each run and are very close to winter precip if not already there. Yes it's not a BFD or a snowstorm were talking about but it's a legit threat at least. Those of us that are hoping the the Nam is on to something will continue to discuss. Those of you who hope it doesn't can watch the next threat for your neck of the woods. And inside 48hrs isn't long range Nam imo. You could be right but we will be ok if you are right..dont worry.

My expectations for an event like this (for now) would be a brief light sleet/rain mix. I'd like to see a few other models hop on board w/ the NAM. If you want to see snow out of this, your best bet is probably to be close to the blue ridge mtns in southwestern NC, where upslope flow will be superposed onto WAA and isentropic upglide.

A rain/sleet mix would probably be the favored precipitation type (if any) based on the 3km NAM soundings. If we get a little more lift/ascent in the DGZ, maybe there could be a wet snow flake or two. Evidence of a warm nose aloft and strong low-level dew point depression & potential for wet bulbing significantly below freezing to refreeze some rain drops back into ice pellets.

Unknown.png

Back