• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Dec 21-22 street light 18z nam fantasy probably not happening but starting the thread anyway storm

I had to look it up, but if you remember the 2/6-2/7 2021 event kinda started showing up in the short range models like this. Not really any signs of it, until the NAM and especially the HRRR started picking up on it.

From the NAM(s), it looks like either rain or snow. Tracking model trends for surface temps / dew points will be important but the most important item will be the upper air temps.

Here's the 3K NAM 850 temps at hour 60:
1671402172369.png

Lets see if we can trend the freezing line south a little the next few runs. **Maybe get a small (in-situ) high to pop up just north of us...

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the NAM usually right in this range?
It does well in theses situations inside 60hrs..so yea it has a decent track record with light moisture fetch over running and picking up on the cold air advection. If it's still showing tomorrow at 12z we in bisiness...fingers crossed

It does well in theses situations inside 60hrs..so yea it has a decent track record with light moisture fetch over running and picking up on the cold air advection. If it's still showing tomorrow at 12z we in bisiness...fingers crossed
What time does 12z come out tomorrow?

I've seen little systems overperform in these situations. Got a good 3in snow from one in 2014 I believe. Nam was the only one bringing precip NW into the foothills. GSP didn't bite till two inches were on the ground. So fingers crossed this is an overperformer.

0z HRRRRRRR is now running. It goes out to 48 hours. Lets see if it matches with the 6z NAM. **man this is depressing putting my hopes in this low odds (small) event. But it is what it is...
According to most on this page, they are all low odds lol.

Back