• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

I took it as he just doesn't believe there is enough cold in the Arctic anymore to have the same effect it used to. The evolution of dumping out west sliding east like 2010 is showing up in modeling from what I see. It's just not cold air.
I understand that, but I’ve look for studies about this and there really isn’t anything specific about it.

Trend loop of last 5 runs of GEFS for Dec 17. Biggest improvement I like is keeping the NE Siberia low out of Alaska

D2nkuHf.gif

sWBb6lM.gif

Last edited:
I understand that, but I’ve look for studies about this and there really isn’t anything specific about it.
I always really liked this graphic below when looking at NAO and cross referencing some of my best storms/seasons on the east coast. 2010 was basically off the chart. Early 90's were awful. But yeah I would need to see some studies that these indices don't matter as much.

nao.timeseries.gif

Man this takes it’s sweet ole time getting here. Getting close to under 240. But I feel like we were saying this the last couple of days. Not lining everything getting pushed back. This looks like a more healthy push of cold air than the 18z run though. Not a fan of it coming from the west ugh
1ae8e1d2a0b8dd94b668615dd5f5be47.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The complete 180 the gfs just did is quite remarkable but almost predictable with how ensembles have looked. CMC is showing something similar but we may have to seriously start looking at the potential for some significant severe weather if this sort of thing holds. Just an amazing temperature gradient and strong southerly winds bringing up warm moist air. This along with plenty of shear on tap means a severe threat is certainly on the table.

Not only this but check out the change from one run to the current .. the +PNA just exploded and things are about to get very cold and backed up here soon. 99F6E4E1-C51C-4FC9-A320-917EFCD4069E.jpegAF13E59F-5800-4BAF-AA90-E06BCCC675E2.jpeg

Here’s an in depth look at the severe ingredients. Things can change but these big time winter polar fronts mean business’s in meteorology and are some of the biggest producers of severe weather due to the extreme temperature gradients they can produce. This polar front is something that continues to be produced on the models. Not only that but some low cape values plus high temps/dews and strong shear means some problems for someone in the south. And of course check out the extreme switch up behind the front.12E07DFA-508A-4AB8-B5CA-30D6DAEB1DF3.jpegA5563B63-AB40-4CFD-B2DE-7127565B3710.jpeg8422A685-1E55-4254-B8F8-34443C7D61ED.jpegE0F3B076-AC90-4007-ABA6-76F1E2533724.jpeg

View attachment 124988
View attachment 124989
The cold is coming y’all, finally seems like we’re not delaying things any further.

Right after that severe front. Something kind of happened like that in early January which flipped the pattern. The question is, will a +PNA develop? How long will the cold last? Will be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t completely jump on and off board with every run (you’ll get a headache and disappointed too many times) :) but I’m optimistic this pattern produces some sort of cold in late December
In my opinion it’s with this northern plains snowstorm that puts the pattern in motion. Obviously there is many other things that can happen to hurt our chances but I’m fairly confident with this.

Back