• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Time to pull the trigger on the winter pattern analogs consisting of La Nina, ridge in North-Central Pacific, -PNA, and -NAO.

Each of the 6 winters recorded slightly below normal temperatures at Charlotte (when compared to the specific winter's 30 year avg).

First 2 images are 500mb and Temperature composites for all years. Final images are snowfall % of mean for each individual winter

vYNTEY4.png

oiSWfIb.png

SjNrcG3.gif

OSgBjzL.gif

tWbjstX.gif

ZPVZQuq.gif

ACB8O00.gif

F8lBD1t.gif

just out of curiosity, is what we are seeing on the models coming up better or worse or the same as this time last year?
In terms of last December ? 20x better in overall pattern .. now the pattern we got in January with multiple weeks of snow chances came with a stout +PNA we haven’t got much to say we see that but all we need with this type of pattern is just a little nudge of something positive in the pacific to be able to cash in

Ollie, are we going to want to see a +EAMT event if we have a chance at switching the pna less negative? Last December was same thing but more pronounced -pna/Aleutian ridge
griteater wrote up a nice post about this that should answer your question.
As for the Pacific side pattern, it's been a bit odd so far this late fall with how the MJO has been more active and moving seemingly faster than I would expect. Based on that, it's a bit difficult to assign how much effect the MJO is having on the pattern. My guess here is that we will continue to see a La Nina-like ridge in the Central-North Pacific, extending into Alaska until there is something significant that comes along to disturb that base state. Probably the thing to look for to do that would be a big episode of Positive East Asian Mtn Torque. At the moment, it doesn't look like one is on the radar for the foreseeable future....mid-Dec may be the next timeframe for something like that to occur, with effects occurring in the weeks after of ridging moving closer to the west coast (just a guess based on the cyclical nature of those events - see red line in image below). Good news is that we aren't currently seeing low pressure setup shop over Alaska, and Canada is getting supplied with cold air.
2fmufD0.gif

Ollie, are we going to want to see a +EAMT event if we have a chance at switching the pna less negative? Last December was same thing but more pronounced -pna/

I read it but was curious if you attest to his statement.
The Nina base state largely supports a -PNA, so I agree it would take a +EAMT to produce a +PNA. I'm not that well informed on EAMT and don't have any different take other than what Griteater wrote. Last December was a bit different and was closer to this November. We had very little blocking in addition to a -PNA while the +SCAND phase was just getting started.

The Nina base state largely supports a -PNA, so I agree it would take a +EAMT to produce a +PNA. I'm not that well informed on EAMT and don't have any different take other than what Griteater wrote. Last December was a bit different and was closer to this November. We had very little blocking in addition to a -PNA while the +SCAND phase was just getting started.
Hopefully we do it all over again but earlier transition to cold compared to last year

Time to pull the trigger on the winter pattern analogs consisting of La Nina, ridge in North-Central Pacific, -PNA, and -NAO.

Each of the 6 winters recorded slightly below normal temperatures at Charlotte (when compared to the specific winter's 30 year avg).

First 2 images are 500mb and Temperature composites for all years. Final images are snowfall % of mean for each individual winter

vYNTEY4.png

oiSWfIb.png

SjNrcG3.gif

OSgBjzL.gif

tWbjstX.gif

ZPVZQuq.gif

ACB8O00.gif

F8lBD1t.gif
I would take caution in comparing to many decades ago. The higher latitudes have been very warm lately. I still think the Mountain's are locked for some snow this year, outside of that area, it's going to be threading the needle for NC at least.

Fik5waoXwAkLeMb

I would take caution in comparing to many decades ago. The higher latitudes have been very warm lately. I still think the Mountain's are locked for some snow this year, outside of that area, it's going to be threading the needle for NC at least.

Fik5waoXwAkLeMb

Charlotte has seen at least a trace of snow every single winter. It will most likely snow outside of the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlotte has seen at least a trace of snow every single winter. It will most likely snow outside of the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Again "threading the needle". I wouldn't classify a trace as a winter storm. Maybe a winter weather advisory. But well see...It just takes 1 storm to make annual average.

Indices can call this whatever they want, but I’ll take this -PNA all winter long. Maybe a little more westward.

View attachment 124190
Absolutely!!! This is what I was talking about the other day with the discussion about the PNA and the talk that a -PNA completely kills off winter weather chances in the southeast. The -NAO with strong blocking can work especially when there is legitimate cold air masses building up in Canada like what we’re seeing now.

Absolutely!!! This is what I was talking about the other day with the discussion about the PNA and the talk that a -PNA completely kills off winter weather chances in the southeast. The -NAO with strong blocking can work especially when there is legitimate cold air masses building up in Canada like what we’re seeing now.
I’ll roll the nice with a 588+dm ridge in California all winter long. Orientation matters, but that is life in the south.

I’ll roll the nice with a 588+dm ridge in California all winter long. Orientation matters, but that is life in the south.
The other good thing about that look is that it’s not a pattern that crushes every short wave. If something like that developed, I think we could get a good old southern slider out of it.

Back