• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Good morning, just a quick psa we are going to step up moderation. Think about what thread you are posting in before your hit post reply. Also think about what your post says abs if it makes sense or is it any way constructive to the thread before hitting post reply.

You guys are always talking about the future. I’m ready to see some snow in the NOW. Take time to build the snowpack and then the pattern will suck.
This is an example of a post that could live in whamby, it has no place in the main discussion thread. Posts like this will be deleted going forward and potentially will get posters relegated to only whamby access.

as there’s a few warm members, there some insanely cold members on the GEFS/EPS, pretty common to get some insane cold inside the lower 48 when you have a cutoff ridge north of Alaska, that sort of ridge positioning has produced some of the biggest cold shots around (2018 for ex) 04D34DC5-1574-47B5-9F55-391375BA6FC9.png4BE42FF9-0A04-49CF-86B9-0A0CF023A210.png

You guys are always talking about the future. I’m ready to see some snow in the NOW. Take time to build the snowpack and then the pattern will suck.
That’s not how this works and it never has lol. Better just suck it up and realize what it takes to get any type of winter weather in the south let alone snow. And plus it’s 12/11. Meteorological winter literally just started lol

Reminds me of last January.
Similar yeah, that pacific evolution was from bad tilt Aleutian ridge that ended up cutting off, flow sped up under it, the a Aleutian low linked a western ridge and the cutoff ridge, all from progressing tropical forcing and +EAMT, just think if we scored with fast flow and solely +PNA/-EPO driven stuff, imagine slowed down flow from a remaining -NAO…

Similar yeah, that pacific evolution was from bad tilt Aleutian ridge that ended up cutting off, flow sped up under it, the a Aleutian low linked a western ridge and the cutoff ridge, all from progressing tropical forcing and +EAMT, just think if we scored with fast flow and solely +PNA/-EPO driven stuff, imagine slowed down flow from a remaining -NAO…
Yep those quick 1-4 inch events suddenly slow down and take their time to evolve and move out. If we had blocking with this storm below most would have scored more than 8 inches and possibly over a foot of snow. So much cold air and just a beautifully developed shield of snow.. only problem was it was in and out in 8 hours! 1670771239530.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep those quick 1-4 inch events suddenly slow down and take their time to evolve and move out. If we had blocking with this storm below most would have scored more than 8 inches and possibly over a foot of snow. So much cold air and just a beautifully developed shield of snow.. only problem was it was in and out in 8 hours! View attachment 125528
Yeah, it seems with the la nina(s) of the last three years we've had more of these quick hitters. Honestly, I would rather have these because they seems to come with more cold air (...at least at my location). I would rather have three inches with cold surface temps than six with warm surface temps.

My 2.5/3":
1670772927028.png

ICON ended poorly.
icon_z500_vort_namer_61.png

Back