• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid I don't know the movie reference.
They Shoot Horses, Don't They? is a 1969 American neo noir drama film directed by Sydney Pollack, starring Jane Fonda, Michael Sarrazin, Susannah York, Red Buttons, Bruce Dern, Bonnie Bedelia and Gig Young. The screenplay, adapted from Horace McCoy's 1935 novel of the same name, was written by James Poe and Robert E. Thompson. The film focuses on a disparate group of characters desperate to win a Depression-era dance marathon and the opportunistic emcee who urges them on.
Robert Syverton (Michael Sarrazin), who had once dreamed of becoming a great film director, recalls the events leading to an unstated crime. In his youth, he saw a horse break its leg, after which it was shot and put out of its misery. Years later, in 1932 during the Great Depression, he wanders into a dance marathon about to begin in the shabby La Monica Ballroom, perched over the Pacific Ocean on the Santa Monica Pier, near Los Angeles. He is recruited by MC Rocky (Gig Young) as a substitute partner for a cynical malcontent named Gloria (Jane Fonda), when her original partner is disqualified because of an ominous cough.
Weeks into the marathon, in order to spark the paying spectators' enthusiasm, Rocky stages a series of derbies in which the exhausted contestants, clad in track suits, must race around the dance floor, with the last three couples eliminated. Harry has a fatal heart attack during one of the races, but the undeterred Gloria lifts him on her back and crosses the finish line. Harry dies as Gloria drags him. Alice, who witnesses his death, has a breakdown and is taken away.
The two leave the dance hall and stand on the pier, overlooking the ocean. Gloria confesses how empty she is inside and tells Robert that she wants to kill herself, but when she takes out a gun and points it at herself, she cannot pull the trigger. Desperate, she asks Robert, "Help me." He obliges, and shoots her in the head, killing her. Questioned by the police as to the motive for his action, Robert responds: "They shoot horses, don't they?"

Last edited:
26 to 49 cases in one day. Better hope doubling every day does not occur or we all dead folks. Interesting week to watch.

Tyson Wilkesboro announces doubling of bonuses...moves up July payout to May and adds additional short term disability coverage.

I know some...(HIPPA LAW) that are going to grocery stores when they have been ORDERED to quarantine. Like really they could have at least used curb side pickup or something

Freezers online at Home Depot for backorder some models you could get at end of August maybe. Gonna be even harder I imagine to find one once flu season is here.

So, now Sweden is the "model" approach according to WHO?

This will come as news to some posters who had already decided that the model approach was to stay-at-home. Hmmm...

For the record, it's still too early to know what societal mitigation approach is "best" at this point. There are different models and to blindly assume the one we've taken is the 100% correct approach seems foolish to me. Maybe it is, but we don't know that at this point.

Again, I still don't have any problem with states/counties/towns implementing SAH orders as they had to appear to "do something" and decisions were made with public's best interest in mind, but as more and more data comes in regarding alternative approaches we should be willing to adapt...

So, now Sweden is the "model" approach according to WHO?

This will come as news to some posters who had already decided that the model approach was to stay-at-home. Hmmm...

For the record, it's still too early to know what societal mitigation approach is "best" at this point. There are different models and to blindly assume the one we've taken is the 100% correct approach seems foolish to me. Maybe it is, but we don't know that at this point.

Again, I still don't have any problem with states/counties/towns implementing SAH orders as they had to appear to "do something" and decisions were made with public's best interest in mind, but as more and more data comes in regarding alternative approaches we should be willing to adapt...
Hopefully this will be looked at this fall if there is a flareup of the virus like predicted.

Hopefully this will be looked at this fall if there is a flareup of the virus like predicted.
Actually France top epidemiologist is saying there will be no second wave. Laura ingrahm show played sound bites from him compared to Faucci who says there will be 2cnd wave. French guy is held in highest regard like Faucci. French Doc says as this fades off thats it. Two polar opposite opinions, which is it? Was a good segment to watch

Actually France top epidemiologist is saying there will be no second wave. Laura ingrahm show played sound bites from him compared to Faucci who says there will be 2cnd wave. French guy is held in highest regard like Faucci. French Doc says as this fades off thats it. Two polar opposite opinions, which is it? Was a good segment to watch

Well one means being prepared the other means playing catchup if a 2nd wave does hit.

Which one would you rather it be?

Well one means being prepared the other means playing catchup if a 2nd wave does hit.

Which one would you rather it be?
Sounds like a hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I hope that if there is a 2nd wave, we are much more prepared and that we hopefully have drugs that can help with battling the virus.

Sounds like a hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I hope that if there is a 2nd wave, we are much more prepared and that we hopefully have drugs that can help with battling the virus.
Like every winter storm around here, LOL. :)

Feel like we’re delaying the inevitable. NC cases keep trending up and we are 5 weeks into this lockdown. Millions have lost there jobs, businesses shutting doors forever. When in history has mankind been able to hide from a virus. I would expect Cooper to push the date back a couple of weeks at his 3pm update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back