• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, don’t see how we meet any of the criteria for phase 1 in the next couple weeks. Then again, the criteria were pretty stringent.

The whole phase idea is a good idea in theory, but is almost impossible to reach IMO. For instance you need two weeks of falling positive tests. By this logic, NY may reach phase 1 before AL does.

Forsyth Co HD says most of the new cases today are connected to the Tyson plan in Wilkes Co.
State of Emergency extended for Wilkes. Actually important to note given it’s heavily republican and everyone wanted it to expire tonight. People going to be pissed.

Yes, I know, this is IMBY (which I disdain for those of you who "know" me) ... but here I sit with the University of Florida being the biggest populator in the County ... What happens shortly after the 2nd week of August when 55,000 new residents show up, from points all over the States and the world, ready to party ... do you think they will be tested? locked on campus? Hardly ... It is a hard thing to get the head around ...

200 tests are being conducted tomorrow in Wilkesboro for Tyson outbreak. That’s all the health department could get for 1,200+ employees but its a good start. Cases have more than doubled this week and big increase in numbers next week is “likely”.

Due to lack of test kits all other Wilkes County residents must travel to bigger counties to get tested. (Can confirm my immediate family was sent to Statesville).

Prepare by spacing kids apart at school. Maybe hire more teachers. Prepare by having less kids on the school bus if possible.
Not sure how to do this, especially when some classrooms in elementary schools have 21-32 students. Middle schools have up to 28-38 in a class and then high schools, I don' t even want to imagine how my kids they have in their classes. There's already a teacher shortage in GA, due to LOTS of reasons and there's no way they can hire enough to have 8-10 kids per class. We are all waiting on what will happen in the fall, right now I'm teaching through a "uh oh throw it up online" type of lessons which I absolutely hate, but we can't go total digital because not all families have internet or a device. I've been trying to process a way to have students at school but in the end it gives me a headache and I just go back to checking my emails and seeing if I can help my kids, the ones that are doing their assignments!

It’s a shame other counties are not sending kits to Wilkes when Tyson attracts workers from many counties. They should be sent enough kits to test ALL employees. This won’t get the news attention but PPE and tests kits are still lacking big time.

Not sure how to do this, especially when some classrooms in elementary schools have 21-32 students. Middle schools have up to 28-38 in a class and then high schools, I don' t even want to imagine how my kids they have in their classes. There's already a teacher shortage in GA, due to LOTS of reasons and there's no way they can hire enough to have 8-10 kids per class. We are all waiting on what will happen in the fall, right now I'm teaching through a "uh oh throw it up online" type of lessons which I absolutely hate, but we can't go total digital because not all families have internet or a device. I've been trying to process a way to have students at school but in the end it gives me a headache and I just go back to checking my emails and seeing if I can help my kids, the ones that are doing their assignments!
You do the best you can, thank God you did it, get up, and do it again ... no one could ask for more (spoken from the husband of a teacher) ...

Asking for a friend, can Tyson fire you if employee calls out on day they are doing corona tests if they don’t want one? She doesn’t want nasal swab.

Asking for a friend, can Tyson fire you if employee calls out on day they are doing corona tests if they don’t want one? She doesn’t want nasal swab.

They can fire you for any valid reason in NC. If the only way to report to work is to be tested then she may not be able to return to the job.

Trump's former White House chief economist says coronavirus so far has cost $8,074 per household
The estimate includes the estimated costs of coronavirus deaths and effects of the economic shutdown.
Coronavirus economic illustration

US quarantine, 100 dollar banknote with medical mask. The concept of epidemic and protection against coronavrius.
(Anton Petrus/Getty Images)
By Carrie Sheffield
Last Updated:
April 30, 2020 - 1:47pm
The deadly coronavirus so far has cost $8,074 per household, says Casey Mulligan, former White House chief economist under President Trump.
The estimate includes the projected costs of coronavirus deaths and effects of the virus-related economic shutdown. Mulligan, an economics professor at the University of Chicago, has a new website, titled CoronavirusCosts.com tracking the daily economic cost of the virus response.

PandemicCosts.com

Estimate of Coronavirus Pandemic Costs
Casey B. Mulligan, Professor of Economics at the University
"The cumulative costs through April 28, 2020, were $8,074 per household ($1.0 trillion in aggregate)," Mulligan stated Wednesday on his website. "26 percent of these are mortality costs (valued at $4.3 million VSL; over the past seven days, the percentage was 27). The rest are the market and non-market costs of shutting down the economy, for the categories documented by Mulligan (2020). The costs above do not necessarily reflect the drop in stock prices, because much of that drop indicates costs expected to be incurred after April 28."
Mulligan has questioned the structure and size of government coronavirus relief packages, including the $2.2 trillion package adopted last month, along with an additional nearly $500 billion package adopted last month.
"Roughly half of all U.S. workers stand to earn more in unemployment benefits than they did at their jobs before the coronavirus pandemic brought the economy to a standstill," Mulligan tweeted Tuesday.
Tweet URL

See caseybmulligan's other Tweets

Mulligan served as chief economist of the White House Council of Economic Advisers under Trump and as a visiting professor teaching public economics at Harvard University, Clemson University, and the Irving B. Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies at the University of Chicago. The Wall Street Journal named Mulligan

A couple of days ago the IRS released a Spanish-language version of the tool for Non-Filers to enter their info to receive the Stimulus payment. The Non-Filers tool is designed for people who don't normally file tax returns (typically those with incomes below $24,400 for married couples, or less than $12,200 for single persons). This includes people who are homeless, and/or people who don't have reportable income.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back