• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very Sad...

"Last week, WFP's executive director David Beasley cautioned the UN Security Council that the risk of large-scale famine in much of the developing world was now "of biblical proportions" as a result of the global pandemic."

"While dealing with a COVID-19 pandemic, we are also on the brink of a hunger pandemic," Beasley told the council. "There is also a real danger that more people could potentially die from the economic impact of COVID-19 than from the virus itself."

Theres a reason why a pandemic has always been one of the biggest threats. They are few and far between on this scale. Everyone seems to be guessing at best course of action. Theres never gonna be a winner in this situation.

As more case results come in there doesn't appear to be any downward trend for the 7 day rolling average for NC. With how Cooper has talked in the past I would imagine we are going to be shutdown for a while longer.

View attachment 40688
Hospitalizations have flatlined over the last week, however, so that has been encouraging news.

EDIT: Didn’t check today until just now. After a week or flatlining, there was a big spike today. We’ll see if it’s just an anomaly, I guess, or something to be concerned about.

At this point, I’d say there’s a better chance than not we see the stay at home order extended past May 8th.

Last edited:
I think it’s pretty clear the IHME model is underestimating deaths on the back side of the curve, both at the local and national level. For NC it only shows something like 30 deaths after today and has deaths falling to basically 0 early next month which seems pretty inconceivable to me at this point. And nationally it only shows around 14,000 more deaths, which I also think is too low. It has the slope of the curve too steep. Europe and the United States have had a much flatter downward trend in the backside of the curve compared to the steep upward trajectory pre-peak. This has been a concern of mine for a while (not that I’m the only one, far from it).

I also don’t know if nationwide cases falling to near zero nationwide over the next few months is realistic, anyways, as much as we might want it to be.
Don't some of the models just assume that measures will be kept in place?

Don't some of the models just assume that measures will be kept in place?
The IHME model is supposed to account for restrictions being lifted when it's “safe”. Granted, many states seem to be lifting restrictions far sooner than the IHME model suggests (rightly or wrongly).

Hospitalizations have flatlined over the last week, however, so that has been encouraging news.

EDIT: Didn’t check today until just now. After a week or flatlining, there was a big spike today. We’ll see if it’s just an anomaly, I guess, or something to be concerned about.

At this point, I’d say there’s a better chance than not we see the stay at home order extended past May 8th.
I think they were higher on Tuesdays before due to backlog of stuff from the weekend?

Cooper said 14 day downward trend. We are inside 14 days , so it will be extended.

But this brings me to my thinking point the last few days:

If what we are doing in NC isn't working to STOP the virus, why are we continuing with what we're doing? It's obviously not working.

Corona is in my family now. Much of us going into quarantine now. Expect much more cases from Tyson Wilkesboro this week. I have no symptoms but I have been in contact.
Best wishes to you and your family members. I hope whoever has it recovers quickly and completely and all those who were in contact don't get infected

Cooper said 14 day downward trend. We are inside 14 days , so it will be extended.

But this brings me to my thinking point the last few days:

If what we are doing in NC isn't working to STOP the virus, why are we continuing with what we're doing? It's obviously not working.
Because something is better than nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back