• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to work at a local testing sight run by the Georgia Department of Community Health yesterday. There were guardsmen, marshals, nurses, etc... everywhere and not a single patient.

Yeah another huge failure. Set up test sites then advice people who may have it to not go get tested. Amateur hour I tell ya.

Yeah another huge failure. Set up test sites then advice people who may have it to not go get tested. Amateur hour I tell ya.
They are becoming available to anyone who wants one now. I jokingly asked them if they would test me to give them something to do and they were willing. I passed though.

They are becoming available to anyone who wants one now. I jokingly asked them if they would test me to give them something to do and they were willing. I passed though.
I'm curious what is the testing protocol. is it just covid test, or antibody test, or both? Seems if you just do covid test it only shows if you have it right then. I've been trying to think this through, but all i can think of is to do both tests at the same time, and combined they will come back as either 1) you had it at some point in the past and have the antibodies, or 2) you have it now and hopefully you will get well and will have the antibodies, or 3) you haven't had it, don't have it now, and are still vulnerable. I'm just asking because all i hear is "testing" and not sure which they are talking about.

EDIT: I guess there could be some sort of sequential order based on symptoms presented that might save money and get an answer with just one test, but just brainstorming trying to take cost out of the equation to get the complete answer the quickest.

For GA residents. For shaggy and I in NC, we can't get one until we're admitted into the ER.
I can’t imagine y’all will be far behind Georgia in this. It’s just within the past couple weeks that it opened up for us.

I'm curious what is the testing protocol. is it just covid test, or antibody test, or both? Seems if you just do covid test it only shows if you have it right then. I've been trying to think this through, but all i can think of is to do both tests at the same time, and combined they will come back as either 1) you had it at some point in the past and have the antibodies, or 2) you have it now and hopefully you will get well and will have the antibodies, or 3) you haven't had it, don't have it now, and are still vulnerable. I'm just asking because all i hear is "testing" and not sure which they are talking about.

EDIT: I guess there could be some sort of sequential order based on symptoms presented that might save money and get an answer with just one test, but just brainstorming trying to take cost out of the equation to get the complete answer the quickest.
Great point!
The big concern one may have is all the reports of folks who got it once, presumably had antibodies, and got it again. More than one strain? Short-lived antibodies? Something else?
This is a head scratcher on so many levels ...

BirdmanDoom broke this story on Southernwx days ago. Fox news just now catching up. Wilkesboro is the new hub for breaking news and weather. Ahead of Fox,NYT,Raleigh NWS.

Food supply chain is breaking,' Tyson Foods chairman says as processing plants continue to close
By Michael Bartiromo | Fox News

Aaaaand now they’re open.

“President Trump has signed an executive order that mandates meat processing plants must stay open, an official said.

Aides said the order would fall under the Defense Production Act.

Trump had highlighted the order during an Oval Office meeting with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis that was opened up to reporters.

"We're going to sign an executive order today, I believe, and that'll solve any liability problems," Trump said on Tuesday.

The President signed the order after some companies, such as Tyson Foods, were considering only keeping 20% of their facilities open. The vast majority of processing plants could have shut down — which would have reduced processing capacity in the country by as much as 80%, an official familiar with the order told CNN.

By signing the order, Trump has declared these plants as a part of critical infrastructure in the US.

The administration is also working with the Department of Labor on issuing guidance about which employees who work at these meat processing facilities should remain home, including workers who are part of populations most vulnerable to the coronavirus.”

“President Trump has signed an executive order that mandates meat processing plants must stay open, an official said.

Trump had highlighted the order during an Oval Office meeting with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis that was opened up to reporters.

"We're going to sign an executive order today, I believe, and that'll solve any liability problems," Trump said on Tuesday.

The President signed the order after some companies, such as Tyson Foods, were considering only keeping 20% of their facilities open. The vast majority of processing plants could have shut down — which would have reduced processing capacity in the country by as much as 80%, an official familiar with the order told CNN.

By signing the order, Trump has declared these plants as a part of critical infrastructure in the US.

The administration is also working with the Department of Labor on issuing guidance about which employees who work at these meat processing facilities should remain home, including workers who are part of populations most vulnerable to the coronavirus.”

Finally something I agree with from him. This is one domino that cant be allowed to fall.

What happens when your entire factory gets seriously ill then? What do you do? Bring in replacements and repeat the cycle? Hopefully they can isolate sick individuals and prevent it from becoming that bad.

I can’t imagine y’all will be far behind Georgia in this. It’s just within the past couple weeks that it opened up for us.

That will be 2 weeks too late if I really do have it and give to my wife who then takes it into her place or work.

Testing has been an utter failure throughout this event for the USA.

What happens when your entire factory gets seriously ill then? What do you do? Bring in replacements and repeat the cycle? Hopefully they can isolate sick individuals and prevent it from becoming that bad.

They can operate like pharmacies and hospitals and all other essential workers do at the moment. Isolate the sick, work the well, rinse and repeat. It’s the reality of essential work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made a weekly food run today. Chicken was short but they had all types of beef. Steaks, hamburger were plentiful. Pork was fully stocked with big chops little chops ribs, tenderloins.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200428-214344_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200428-214344_Gallery.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20200428-214349_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200428-214349_Gallery.jpg
    939.1 KB · Views: 10
Some of my family members at Tyson said they are not doing points if you call out and shifts have been ending early. Normal production is 6 days/week with mandatory overtime. Shortage is coming. And when people can’t find chicken they are gonna hit burger and whatever else hard. Shortage of all meats coming.

Production is at record low already due to employees calling out whether they sick or not. I would want a break too if I worked there 30 years with mandatory overtime every week.

And now this news just came out:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...ata-on-remdesivir-coronavirus-drug-trial.html

I wonder if the combo of these two is why the Dow futures are up so sharply despite a bad GDP report??

I think it was mostly the Gilead news. S&P futures were up slightly then spiked when the news came out apparently.

Edit: The Gilead news is a correction though for some because there was good news there a couple weeks ago, then for some reason people decided to buy a Chinese report and panicked.

Great point!
The big concern one may have is all the reports of folks who got it once, presumably had antibodies, and got it again. More than one strain? Short-lived antibodies? Something else?
This is a head scratcher on so many levels ...

It may be the folks just never recovered. I've been reading quite a lot directly from folks about their experience with COVID and quite a few of them have been going on 40 days with symptoms off and on.

It may be the folks just never recovered. I've been reading quite a lot directly from folks about their experience with COVID and quite a few of them have been going on 40 days with symptoms off and on.
I have a friend who came down with it a month ago and spent 16 days in the hospital. He has since tested negative but the effects still linger. He is very fatigued and still has a terrible cough. He lost 26 lbs the first 4 weeks he was sick and is just now getting his appetite back. This was someone who was 55 yrs old and very healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back