• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
“The importance of viral dose is being overlooked in discussions of the coronavirus. As with any other poison, viruses are usually more dangerous in larger amounts. Small initial exposures tend to lead to mild or asymptomatic infections, while larger doses can be lethal.”

Interesting read:

An article in the Lancet a few weeks ago said severe cases had 60 times the viral load so it makes sense. Makes me wonder if hospitals really become killing grounds if cross contamination occurs.

“The importance of viral dose is being overlooked in discussions of the coronavirus. As with any other poison, viruses are usually more dangerous in larger amounts. Small initial exposures tend to lead to mild or asymptomatic infections, while larger doses can be lethal.”

Interesting read:
I had no idea about 'viral dose'. That's a fascinating read. Is there anyone else talking about this as a possible cause to account for why some are asymptomatic and others aren't?

Went to Kroger today. Place was close to fully stocked. Hell they even had very limited toilet paper. Definitely no shortage of things here.

Hopefully people will see now that during these lockdowns if people arent running on the stores they will remained stocked. I made a post a couple weeks ago about that being the biggest domino we need to keep upright.

Now convincing people to shop normally will be a hard sell but just shop normally.

Went to Kroger today. Place was close to fully stocked. Hell they even had very limited toilet paper. Definitely no shortage of things here.
I’ve noticed Bilo has had limited toilet paper 3 days in a row. Pleanty of all types of meat. Wonder if they are not putting All toilet paper out on one day so it looks better. People not as anxious if they start seeing it on shelves. (Went 3 days in row to get medicine for son who We think has strep but there are no swabs for a test. Doctor wouldn’t even see him. Said treat the pain. So over the counter treatment for 3 days and he is some better without antibiotics. Went other days to get groceries for myself and our neighbors. When limited to how much you can get at once have to make several trips.

I work at a Publix, we do not distribute all the toilet paper onto the floor at once, We do it in batches to ensure we're not wiped out within minutes. Our stock has been getting better, but we're still lacking canned vegetables, bread, etc.. There was talk of truckers going on strike due to unfair conditions and hours, if that happens then we will undoubtedly run out of several items.

I work at a Publix, we do not distribute all the toilet paper onto the floor at once, We do it in batches to ensure we're not wiped out within minutes. Our stock has been getting better, but we're still lacking canned vegetables, bread, etc.. There was talk of truckers going on strike due to unfair conditions and hours, if that happens then we will undoubtedly run out of several items.
Do you know if Publix distributes TP like this in all stores or just yours? I'm asking because we've got a couple locations up here now.

Do you know if Publix distributes TP like this in all stores or just yours? I'm asking because we've got a couple locations up here now.
I believe most stores follow this methodology. Always be nice and ask somebody if theres any in the back. If I feel someone deserves it, I will often times get a roll from the back. Don't be disappointed however if they say no.

Thanks for all of your hard work !

I believe most stores follow this methodology. Always be nice and ask somebody if theres any in the back. If I feel someone deserves it, I will often times get a roll from the back. Don't be disappointed however if they say no.
Thank you, this is extremely helpful.

Your advice about always being nice is spot on, especially with the added stress to anyone having to deal with the general public right now. I worked a few years of retail, and know it can be a challenging experience in normal times. I can't imagine how it is right now.

Also, I think we've got a couple of other grocery workers who post here (including webb?). If you're reading this, thank you as well.

They also reserve it in the back for group homes, homeless shelters etc. because they need it in bulk. If they don’t know you will mostly likely be told no unless they can smell you haven’t wiped yet maybe try that

The only place I’ve found toilet paper within a 3 county radius is family dollar store brand $1.

IF that big drop in fever frequency is a true indicator, there should be a big drop in new cases being reported as early as mid April.

You can’t take that as a good marker. It depends on people using that particular brand of thermometer in their home.

IF that big drop in fever frequency is a true indicator, there should be a big drop in new cases being reported as early as mid April.

Yeah at the same time its gonna seem like an eternity if we see the horrible numbers we saw today

You can’t take that as a good marker. It depends on people using that particular brand of thermometer in their home.

I know of numerous local businesses using this measure to prevent people from entering. Vidant, my wifes work thermal Fischer are all doing it......several hundred if not a couple thousand people.

At the very least it means sick people arent trying to go to work and are staying home. That alone will reduce cases.

It's a small sample size compared overall population but I believe its trends can be used and viewed with hope.

Yeah, that’s why I said “if”. Nevertheless and notwithstanding your point, I’m hopeful that it really is an indication of social distancing doing its magic for not just the flu but also for COVID-19. It is about time we had some true good news in this thread and I’m cautiously hopeful.

Last edited:
I know of numerous local businesses using this measure to prevent people from entering. Vidant, my wifes work thermal Fischer are all doing it......several hundred if not a couple thousand people.

At the very least it means sick people arent trying to go to work and are staying home. That alone will reduce cases.

It's a small sample size compared overall population but I believe its trends can be used and viewed with hope.

I understand that, but I was talking about that particular brand which is being used by news outlets as a reporting medium. They’re only going off that one brand. It’s only going off the Kinsa Smart Thermometer. They’re home based (the majority).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back