• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMH......I don't know how to help you to understand. You can't be prepared for something OF THIS MAGINITUDE you have never gone through. You can't do it PERIOD. I guess I could tell you 100 more times and you still wont understand. There is nobody that can mobilize for a crisis better than the united states military and I can tell from going through it first hand multiple times in my life that our COUNTRY has done a phenomenal job with this from the top to the bottom.

On Feb 5, HHS Secretary Azar requested $2 billion to buy respirator masks & other supplies for the national stockpile, Trump cut that request by 75%...…

Trump spent most of Feb telling everyone it was going to not be a big deal.....15 soon to be zero he said, this country has not done a phenomenal job at all, it feels disjointed and random, there was no solid national response plan for this, ( well there was Trump admin ignored it ) and now we have probably millions currently infected and numerous cities with hospitals dangerously close to being overwhelmed...….yep we nailed it :rolleyes:

On Feb 5, HHS Secretary Azar requested $2 billion to buy respirator masks & other supplies for the national stockpile, Trump cut that request by 75%...…

Trump spent most of Feb telling everyone it was going to not be a big deal.....15 soon to be zero he said, this country has not done a phenomenal job at all, it feels disjointed and random, there was no solid national response plan for this, ( well there was Trump admin ignored it ) and now we have probably millions currently infected and numerous cities with hospitals dangerously close to being overwhelmed...….yep we nailed it :rolleyes:
We will definitely learn from this. I know thats not any comfort to people who have lost family members, but im confident we won't ever see a disaster like this again anytime soon. They will make sure this doesnt happen again.

They were awful from the beginning too. It's hard for me to understand two things: How awful leadership/authorities are around the globe and understanding seemingly simple things (as an aside, I believe they do and that they are operating in a way that is counter to their supposed mandate, to the benefit of themselves or someone else that is NOT regular people) and how resistant seemingly reasonable people are to hold them accountable for obvious early mistakes. It's ok to criticize the actions of even those you generally like. That is not a sin.

The WHO is a disgrace, almost rivaling the UN's carnival of corruption.

We will definitely learn from this. I know thats not any comfort to people who have lost family members, but im confident we won't ever see a disaster like this again anytime soon. They will make sure this doesnt happen again.

Cant agree there. This disaster is small compared to what could and probably will happen in our lifetimes.

I agree with the majority of this. I don't have enough data to say that Republicans were downplaying this more than Democrats on the whole. That may or may not be true, as I have seen similar reactions on both sides of the aisle. I really don't care about making it a right vs. left issue, which I know isn't the point of your post. I just wanted to give my thoughts on that. But I do think there is a lot of blame that can be spread around for the initial apparent response.

It's not the main point of my post yes, but aside from looking from within this forum and I'm not going to point out specific names of those that have downplayed CoV's severity relative to the collective opinion of this forum, in more broad terms, the evidence is pretty overwhelmingly in support of this view and by a pretty significant margin, in that more democrats have taken this virus more seriously much sooner than Republicans, trump's actions are perhaps an over exaggeration of this underlying theme, but it's very real imo.

1585664081536.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/21/upshot/coronavirus-public-opinion.html

Just last week, 63% of Democrats and 49% of Republicans said they considered the coronavirus to be a personal threat; now 76% of Democrats and 63% of Republicans feel the same way."
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rious-threat-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKBN21C02T

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.17.25 AM.png

https://www.people-press.org/2020/03/26/views-of-how-officials-public-have-responded-to-covid-19/#republicans-and-democrats-back-measures-aimed-at-flattening-the-curve

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 10.18.50 AM.png

Even the heavily conservative fox news media outlet, continues to largely support this point.

"By a 14-point margin, Republicans are more likely than Democrats to think Americans are overreacting, and Republicans are less likely to have changed their life “a great deal” (-13), be worried about getting infected (-14), and be concerned about the virus spreading nationally (-7)."

You also find that more democrats were more worried sooner about the state of the economy in response to this crisis relative to republicans, again fox news poll...

1585664612297.png
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/poll-recession-fears-coronavirus-us-economy

Admittedly, this political gap is closing and becoming indiscernible as the scope of the virus is blatantly obvious to nearly everyone now and both sides are taking it very seriously, but I don't think that takes away from the fact that republicans on a national level didn't take this as seriously as democrats did earlier on in the crisis, and while yes we have more pressing matters to attend to, this is a point worth revisiting in the aftermath of this virus.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and say Obama, Clinton, or Carter was in office, I think you'd find a much different tone across the board and this gap to be smaller or completely reversed out of political spite more than anything.

Again there were plans put in place....we just didn't do it

The Trump administration shelved a 69-page National Security Council playbook for fighting pandemics that detailed key tactics and procedures, POLITICO’s Dan Diamond and Nahal Toosi scoop.

The guide was developed after the Ebola outbreak in hopes of better handling the next public health crisis, and recommends the government quickly take a number of specific actions — a timeline that the administration has lagged well behind

***on topic****

They have confirmed 5 more cases in my county one is a friend of mine who use to work with me.....he is pretty sick but doing ok for now, he is in his mid 30's and a athlete gym bro kind a guy.

I meant a disaster from a virus. Im sure there will be other disasters of different kinds.

I don’t know about that either. The latest Lancet article has the mortality rate of Covid at 0.6%(and slowly trending down) with nearly all of that skewed toward the older ages. Imagine if this was SARS or MERS? Obviously this is much more infective, but is pretty much a cold compared to those viruses death rate wise. God forbid H5N1 ever became normal flu level transmissible.

Cant agree there. This disaster is small compared to what could and probably will happen in our lifetimes.

Yeah, imagine if we were to get another mutation from the SARS family 10 years from now, only this mutation is more like the first time we observed SARS in humans, is more contagious than that one, and more dangerous in younger people?

Needless to say we can't rule that out unless we see some measures taken when this is over with in the world in China. I lean towards this initially being a mutation in bats unlike others (but not that someone ate a bat, they might have inhaled bat poop), so one measure that would need to be taken is heavy regulation of wet markets, if not just ending them entirely.

COVID0331.PNG
This is US daily new cases per day. The daily new cases are rising, but the curve isn't as pronounced the past 3 days.

One thing that could be skewing this is the number tested per day. We might find out later the curve wasn't rising as high because we didn't test as many on those days (due to less being available). Unfortunately I can't find a good up to date source giving total tests daily nationwide to compare. I think they are released by individual states.

View attachment 38135
This is US daily new cases per day. The daily new cases are rising, but the curve isn't as pronounced the past 3 days.

One thing that could be skewing this is the number tested per day. We might find out later the curve wasn't rising as high because we didn't test as many on those days (due to less being available). Unfortunately I can't find a good up to date source giving total tests daily nationwide to compare. I think they are released by individual states.

I think the big thing to watch is hospitalization numbers, if we can find them on a neat graph that is(I can’t) If things remain constant and we assume a certain percentage will need hospital care, we can see where this is trending case wise to a certain extent.

I think the big thing to watch is hospitalization numbers, if we can find them on a neat graph that is(I can’t) If things remain constant and we assume a certain percentage will need hospital care, we can see where this is trending case wise to a certain extent.
Yea, the covid19.healthdata.org website has interesting data on the projections per state, but I don't think they show the actual hospitalizations in real time. I know the data is likely out there, but I also don't want to go through getting figures from 50 different sources (states). Unless I'm missing something, most of these numbers are reported state by state.

As others have noted, the number of confirmed cases has risen about 15 percent the past few days, compared to a steady rise of about 25 percent each day the previous week. Unfortunately, the number of deaths in the U.S. continue to rise at about 25 percent per day.

Deaths are always going to be the lagging indicator in this situation, given that acute C-19 cases may be hospitalized for two weeks or more.

View attachment 38135

As others have noted, the number of confirmed cases has risen about 15 percent the past few days, compared to a steady rise of about 25 percent each day the previous week. Unfortunately, the number of deaths in the U.S. continue to rise at about 25 percent per day.

yes testing capacity is going to artificially flatten the curve. We are also up to 23,000 cases per day. It’s harder and harder to see big percentage increases as the daily case count rises and the testing capacity is only so much. Yesterday was awful. 23,000 new cases and 669 dead in the Us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back