• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing i hate about the media is that they always focus on negative things. No positivity at all from the media. For instance, more people have recovered from the virus than have died, but the media doesn't talk about that much.

Maybe because that's not exactly news? I mean, even with cases of COVID-19 bad enough to require hospitalization, no one thinks more of them will die than live unless hospitals are completely overwhelmed with understaffing/mass influx of patients.

I do think doctors and nurses are acting heroically and making major sacrifices, like renting places to be apart from family due to their risk of infection. That should get more recognition.

View attachment 38135
This is US daily new cases per day. The daily new cases are rising, but the curve isn't as pronounced the past 3 days.

One thing that could be skewing this is the number tested per day. We might find out later the curve wasn't rising as high because we didn't test as many on those days (due to less being available). Unfortunately I can't find a good up to date source giving total tests daily nationwide to compare. I think they are released by individual states.
I think we can know for sure that it's leveling off only because we aren't doing enough testing. So many states and municipalities are turning away from testing those with milder symptoms.
Also anyone who wants to call out China for fudging their numbers, maybe don't. We are doing the same thing. We probably won't hide number of deaths, but we are through omission hiding number of cases.

Something I'm curious about: have there been follow-up studies done with recovered or recovering patients to see how they are doing? There was that report out of Hong Kong with a doctor saying several of the dozen or so of his patients who had recovered were experiencing lasting lung problems, but that's such a small sample and it may be that they fully recover given more time.

yes testing capacity is going to artificially flatten the curve. We are also up to 23,000 cases per day. It’s harder and harder to see big percentage increases as the daily case count rises and the testing capacity is only so much. Yesterday was awful. 23,000 new cases and 669 dead in the Us.

Maybe best way to gauge cases is to look at historical hospitalization rates with this virus and then track that number. If we know that number has been around 20% then we can extrapolate out the number of cases?

yes testing capacity is going to artificially flatten the curve. We are also up to 23,000 cases per day. It’s harder and harder to see big percentage increases as the daily case count rises and the testing capacity is only so much. Yesterday was awful. 23,000 new cases and 669 dead in the Us.
How are you and your family doing? I know you had said y’all were self quarantining for 10 days last week.

Maybe best way to gauge cases is to look at historical hospitalization rates with this virus and then track that number. If we know that number has been around 20% then we can extrapolate out the number of cases?

I think deaths is the right chart to look at to see if we are flattening the curve. It’s the only metric we know is close to 100% correct.

How are you and your family doing? I know you had said y’all were self quarantining for 10 days last week.

recovering. Thank you for asking. No fever for me so I went back to work today. Wife is still working from home but no fever for 5-6 days now. Coughs are still ruthless but getting better. The only symptoms I had was the horrible headache for two days and a nasty cough.

I think we can know for sure that it's leveling off only because we aren't doing enough testing. So many states and municipalities are turning away from testing those with milder symptoms.
Also anyone who wants to call out China for fudging their numbers, maybe don't. We are doing the same thing. We probably won't hide number of deaths, but we are through omission hiding number of cases.

For the most part, most states are only testing the most serious of the cases, however if those numbers are trending down, then it’s safe to assume overall cases are trending down. That said the caveat is if more younger people are being infected and are more likely to have milder cases.

As others have noted, the number of confirmed cases has risen about 15 percent the past few days, compared to a steady rise of about 25 percent each day the previous week. Unfortunately, the number of deaths in the U.S. continue to rise at about 25 percent per day.
I thought about posting the US daily deaths graph, but hesitated on doing so. Total daily deaths seem to be more prone to short term fluctuations (just from looking at other countries), and I was afraid focusing on that would be distracting.

Something I'm curious about: have there been follow-up studies done with recovered or recovering patients to see how they are doing? There was that report out of Hong Kong with a doctor saying several of the dozen or so of his patients who had recovered were experiencing lasting lung problems, but that's such a small sample and it may be that they fully recover given more time.
I know when I had pneumonia I got winded easily for months. I would assume this would be the case since it is the lungs that are giving people the most trouble.

Again there were plans put in place....we just didn't do it

The Trump administration shelved a 69-page National Security Council playbook for fighting pandemics that detailed key tactics and procedures, POLITICO’s Dan Diamond and Nahal Toosi scoop.

The guide was developed after the Ebola outbreak in hopes of better handling the next public health crisis, and recommends the government quickly take a number of specific actions — a timeline that the administration has lagged well behind

***on topic****

They have confirmed 5 more cases in my county one is a friend of mine who use to work with me.....he is pretty sick but doing ok for now, he is in his mid 30's and a athlete gym bro kind a guy.
Was that the same playbook that waited till after a 1000 American lives where lost with the last pandemic to start acting, claiming we had a crisis. 8 months.
No Thanks, glad we are re÷writing that one.

Was that the same playbook that waited till after a 1000 American lives where lost with the last pandemic to start acting, claiming we had a crisis. 8 months.
No Thanks, glad we are re÷writing that one.
And our country will be stronger, better and more informed because of the positive efforts of many and despite the negative efforts of a few

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back