• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Caperil 2021

Same here in DFW, although the latest freeze on record was 4/13.

However, I'm pretty sure we're done with frost/freezes here for the season.

EDIT: Correction. The average last date for a freeze is 3/12.
I'm surprised the avg last freeze is so early in Dallas. Pretty sure the avg last freeze in Atlanta is at least a couple weeks later than that.

I'm surprised the avg last freeze is so early in Dallas. Pretty sure the avg last freeze in Atlanta is at least a couple weeks later than that.

I'm sure the higher elevation is part of the reason.

But also, when the jet stream makes those dips southward with modified arctic air in response to -NAO blocking (like it did last week), Dalllas generally just misses the brunt of it. The event this past February was one of the few exceptions.

I'm sure the higher elevation is part of the reason.

But also, when the jet stream makes those dips southward with modified arctic air in response to -NAO blocking (like it did last week), Dalllas generally just misses the brunt of it. The event this past February was one of the few exceptions.
Not really , Dallas gets much much colder than places further east at similar latitude. Dallas generally actually gets the brunt of Arctic outbreaks . Record number of hours below freezing for Dallas are actually twice those of Raleigh depsite Raleigh being 5 degrees colder in winter and nearly 3 degrees further north .

Not really , Dallas gets much much colder than places further east at similar latitude. Dallas generally actually gets the brunt of Arctic outbreaks . Record number of hours below freezing for Dallas are actually twice those of Raleigh depsite Raleigh being 5 degrees colder in winter and nearly 3 degrees further north .
I think he's talking about the duration of a cold spell. When it gets cold in Dallas it really only lasts for one day or so. Places further east the cold snap can last three to four days.

I think he's talking about the duration of a cold spell. When it gets cold in Dallas it really only lasts for one day or so. Places further east the cold snap can last three to four days.
Why do cold snaps last longer in places like Atlanta than in Dallas ?

Unusual weather events in Dallas do tend to be more extreme when they occur, that's true. But the key there is when they occur, which is relatively less often.

On average, Dallas' winters are definitely warmer overall. The average high in January is 57*F vs. 50*F in Raleigh. Also, the average number of below freezing lows per year in Raleigh is 66, while that number is only 30 days in Dallas.

Without getting technical I would assume it's because of the orientation flow of the jet stream coming from the northwest..

Yes.

Also, in the Plains, there's the influence from the Chinook winds off the Rocky Mountains that helps to produce more drastic temperature advection patterns.

Yes.

Also, in the Plains, there's the influence from the Chinook winds off the Rocky Mountains that helps to produce more drastic temperature advection patterns.
Yeah I'm sure winds coming off the mountains warm you up just like they do here in the Carolinas.

Except that can’t be true if Dallas has a much larger record for consecutive hours below freezing than us.

Unusual weather events in Dallas do tend to be more extreme when they occur, that's true. But the key there is when they occur, which is relatively less often.

On average, Dallas' winters are definitely warmer overall. The average high in January is 57*F vs. 50*F in Raleigh. Also, the average number of below freezing lows per year in Raleigh is 66, while that number is only 30 days in Dallas.
That’s still not true though, Dallas has been subzero more times than we have ! Again I’m comparing a colder climate that is further north. Now compare somewhere similar like Columbia .

Seems like it’s easy for NC to be trapped in CAD longer and Dallas to be trapped in more legit cold longer

Last edited:
CLT and rdu both average their last freeze in the first few days of April , not the 15th. GSO as well. Pretty sure GSO and CLT average their last freeze on the last days of March now 91-20.RDU doesn’t though still stuck in April . Smh.
I meant 4/5... that was a typo... sorry. The point is that nobody should get frustrated over any cool spell that we get now. As long as we can avoid another hard freeze like we saw at the end of last week, everything should be good now.

Back