• We've made some major changes to the website. You can view a short list : Here
  • Hello guests. Please take a minute to sign up and join in the conversation. It's free, quick, and easy!

August Rush (3 Viewers)

Man, ya'll need to learn how to go to tropical tidbits and look at the pretty maps! Lots more pretty red and orange colors over the east than the yellows and greens from previous runs. Might get your no 90s wish, though. 90s don't have 3 digits, do they? :(
I wouldn't worry too much. However, if it starts showing 4 digit temps, then I might get concerned.

GaWx

Supporter
No telling what they could have hit without the urban heat island effect
Despite the UHI effect, low temp records at Charlotte since the year 2000 have been much more frequent than at nearby major stations for some unknown reason. In this period of global warming, there have actually been slightly more low min records (84) than high max records (79) at Charlotte since 2000! It isn’t that the 79 is a low # because it actually is higher than what one would expect for only a 19 year period, which is consistent with global warming. It is the astoundingly high 84 record low mins during this GW period that is a big mystery. In contrast, both Raleigh and Lumberton have had a whopping 3 times as many record high maxes as record low mins since 2000, which is what one would expect to see due to GW:

- Raleigh: a whopping 99 record high maxes vs only 33 record lows.
- Lumberton: 69 record high maxes vs only 23 record lows

My hypothesis to try to explain the high # of Charlotte record lows since 2000 is that the station got changed either in the 1990s or early 2000s in some way that has made it more conducive to radiational cooling at night. Anyone know more about this?

Despite the UHI effect, low temp records at Charlotte since the year 2000 have been much more frequent than at nearby major stations for some unknown reason. In this period of global warming, there have actually been slightly more low min records (84) than high max records (79) at Charlotte since 2000! It isn’t that the 79 is a low # because it actually is higher than what one would expect for only a 19 year period, which is consistent with global warming. It is the astoundingly high 84 record low mins during this GW period that is a big mystery. In contrast, both Raleigh and Lumberton have had a whopping 3 times as many record high maxes as record low mins since 2000, which is what one would expect to see due to GW:

- Raleigh: a whopping 99 record high maxes vs only 33 record lows.
- Lumberton: 69 record high maxes vs only 23 record lows

My hypothesis to try to explain the high # of Charlotte record lows since 2000 is that the station got changed either in the 1990s or early 2000s in some way that has made it more conducive to radiational cooling at night. Anyone know more about this?
The airport is just outside the city. Maybe just enough to avoid the UHI, if they indeed get the official temp from the Charlotte Douglas airport .
If memory serves, it’s a little S and W of the city proper.if they moved it there in 2000 or so, that could explain the amount of records, it’s just rural enough to get peak radiational cooling, and it’s not far from the Catawba river, so it could be in a low point or valley!

MBell

"The Man"
What an amazing last three days! I can't remember an August in recent memory (although I was in Cali from 2008-2013) where it felt this crisp!

W- 80/65
Th- 81/60
Fr- 80/58

Sitting at 61 this hour. Definitely enjoying this weather during my last few weeks here before returning back to California.

Last edited:

whamby

politicians discussing climate change
August 2004 had a mondo front that was ultra refreshing... got down to 54 in CHA.... I remember it because I was working for a furniture moving company at the time.

One last major shot of summer is likely forthcoming over the next few weeks, thereafter the tables are going to turn in favor of much cooler, fall-like weather (and not just because this is climatologically expected), rather with the current quasi-stationary west-central Pacific NINO "forcing", the response in the large-scale pattern favors ridging in early September, but big troughs late in September and into October over the E US. If this comes to fruition, we might get an early head start on fall this year, which I'm sure few would complain about, however the tropical Atlantic will probably heat up (couldn't get much quieter tbh) especially later in September.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)