• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry April Fools? (1-2) Surprise Storm

Any hope for Raleigh or is it definitely all rain for us?

I think the only areas with a legit shot at snow still are in western nc under the band of light returns. The 925mb temps are rapidly warming and that's the only area left that could see snow reach the ground combined with 850s near 0c.
1554220919486.png

Absolutely miserable weather, average high of 69, leafing out trees, spring... even a solar noon sun angle of 60.... Instead its in the 30s and dumping rain. I will never understand how anyone wants snow outside of december. Should break the record low max for today of 47 at RDU by a degree or two. Heres to summer weather lasting into November to make up for this bs.

Last edited:
Lots of reports on Facebook of snow in Randolph and Montgomery counties. I saw one video with accumulations out of Montgomery county I believe.

Dad down toward Farmer, been snowing heavy since about 9am. Roofs tree limbs all covered,leylands hanging. Ground is meh he says.

Chalk this up as overperformer and well modeled. All my snow fell before and after winter which runs from Dec 23 through March 23. Wasted a nice winter storm today of 4+ for alot of folks due to calendar

Gonna close out year at 8 inches

if I did call the law it would be because the storm wasn’t fair to me I was cold enough but too dry.will wait till next winter got to let the com center cool off first

Does anyone know if Charlotte officially got measurable snow/sleet? If so, it would be only the 2nd measured in April in the last 100 years.

Winter weather advisories expanded down east. Close call for Raleigh.

Durham to Sanford NC May want to consider advisory. Idk about downtown Raleigh tho may end somewhere close to there.

April snow is so rare so even if its just a little it is something special. The only time I remember seeing April snow was in 2007.

Durham to Sanford NC May want to consider advisory. Idk about downtown Raleigh tho may end somewhere close to there.
Unless there is the possibility of it sticking to the road i dont see a point in an advisory. Has there been any reports of road issues in NC?

Unless there is the possibility of it sticking to the road i dont see a point in an advisory. Has there been any reports of road issues in NC?
From the NWS
ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on slippery road conditions. Any
accumulation will be mostly on grassy surfaces, but a period
of slushy roads is expected.

Congrats to the Charlotte area folks on their rare April snow and sleet treat! And even some accumulation! Very nice. The models that had a max near there were the winners though as usual the average accumulation was overdone by most of these models that had the location of the max correct. But that was fully expected.

Back