• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe April 6-8th severe threat

After this event it looks like all eyes are on palm sunday ?

Yep this "event" was a dud. Enhanced was probably a reach. Attention now turns to the weekend.
the HRRR was garbage with this event at least in alabama and mississippi. It seems HRRR is bipolar; hits some events right on the nail and then other ones it completely misses the nail.

Some hail probably around a inch big falling in east alabama.Screenshot_20190408-203512_RadarScope.jpg

Man, we have gotten the rain tonight. Still coming down. Been almost nonstop since about 5 or so. Under a flood advisory.

Southwest Georgia up into central GA can’t let their guard down overnight. Not a slam dunk threat by any means but any tornado threat in the wee hours of the morning deserves special attention. Hopefully it doesn’t materialize but SPC has placed a sizeable 5% tornado area 2031DBBB-424A-4F3B-AFC2-C6CAEDC300A3.png

SPC definitely is uncertain but the idea is there. HRRR has storms firing overnight and moving north while maintaining a cellular look. Won’t be much instability to work with but as we saw this morning in Alabama there’s always a chance one or two storms get going and produce.

SPC:

“Finally, a small slight risk area is being added across parts of southeast Alabama, southwest Georgia, and the Florida Panhandle. The airmass across this region is currently stable, per latest observations -- and as indicated by the evening TLH RAOB which indicates overturning from earlier convection. However, low-level theta-e advection will likely occur across this area overnight, ahead of the upper system, in a synoptic setup that remains favorable for severe weather from a pattern recognition perspective. With several high-res CAMs indicating storm development after
midnight across this area, conditional severe weather risk -- though uncertain -- appears to warrant SLGT risk upgrade, with a few
locally damaging gusts and potential for a couple of tornadoes through the end of the period.”

Getting trained with heavy gulleywashers up 85 from Charlotte to Gboro. Been some heavy rain this afternoon/evening

Look...I don’t want a thread for every system that is going to bring a chance of spring storms. And after today, unless I’m under a PDS TOR warning I will take the SPC with a grain of salt.

Look...I don’t want a thread for every system that is going to bring a chance of spring storms. And after today, unless I’m under a PDS TOR warning I will take the SPC with a grain of salt.
The separate threads for each threat is the best way to keep things less confusing. If we kept everything in one thread it would get clutter up and confusing. Also SPC takes model data in consideration. They can’t help that the storms underachieve. For example this afternoon they release a mesoscale discussion for us and it was pretty much spot on. So just give them a chance. They are the messengers, so let’s not try to shoot them down. ?

899FFBA2-2E06-4947-9597-017A9BD5FA6A.jpeg

Last edited:
@BirdManDoomW meant to also say I can see your point of view of things also. I am glad we are having this much conversation on severe weather this year. I enjoy a nice thunderstorm as long as people don’t get hurt. I hope this will spill on over to the tropical forum here in a few months.

Anybody got those pretty simulated radars/models for this afternoon?

Last night was a good start to the thunderstorm season. Had a couple of warnings, but didn't experience anything severe. Just had some impressive rain and thunder over a solid three hour period.

Anybody got those pretty simulated radars/models for this afternoon?
All the short range models dried up. Wilmington NC has a slight chance...and maybe right below Charlotte NC. But even in those areas only 1-2 thunder showers were shown.

Back