• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

April 23-25th Severe Threat

The 3KM NAM (as usual) looks Very NASTY here!

As crazy as it is to say. This is by far the most high end image the 3km NAM has throw at us all year. Something like you would see a few years ago. It really tries to fire a line of supercells over southern GA as well.

uh25_max.us_se.png

As crazy as it is to say. This is by far the most high end image the 3km NAM has throw at us all year. Something like you would see a few years ago. It really tries to fire a line of supercells over southern GA as well.

uh25_max.us_se.png
How is this high end?

See y’all the next severe wx threat lol, HRRR has spoken View attachment 82205
You know how these things work .. I feel like maybe it can push out quick enough to get a back band to form .. it’s already looking fast and most likely it’ll be faster than depicted ... fun to watch .. at least everything will get a good soaking regardless

Although NAM and HRRR look so very different in the overall evolution of things .. I think this is a classic wait and see what the nowcast is saying ... have to develop the storm first and see how they evolve to really get a good idea .. until then we get to see many fun bright cool colors and severe parameters on models

The 3km NAM had very little UH streaks across AL during the March outbreaks. It used to be completely nuts, so I figured they nerfed it to the point it rarely showed anything. It went from being wrong all the time to being wrong all the time in the other direction.
Didnt know that ?

Yeesh. It sure does isolate those cells. Nothing would be in the way to stop them.

Now the NAM does like the cap everything if I remember right, so it’s probably gonna be more messy.

Just noticed the 18z HRRR is about to punish south GA.

Too bad the WRFs don’t run four times a day so we wouldn’t have to watch the peanut gallery.

Just realized the LCL in south alabama are almost sub 500. Along with lapse rates being relatively impressive.

Is there much to worry about in the ATL area with these models?

If the 3km NAM is right, yes metro ATL may have some problems. However, the truth is the NAM is likely getting the instability too far north while the low level helicity is highest. As of right now, I think the threat of tornadoes and possibly strong or greater tornadoes is in South GA. Atlanta is probably looking at an isolated large hail threat with the last batch.

i like to look at this on the weather model. not sure wether its any good, but it shows the individual storms and there updrafts. this is the same time frame as arcc's post earlier. compared to the HRRR theres a lot more isolated updrafts.Screenshot_2021-04-22 COD Meteorology -- Numerical Model Data(1).pngScreenshot_2021-04-22 COD Meteorology -- Numerical Model Data.png

Back