• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

April 2024 Discussion

Also with the way the pattern is evolving I'm concerned about an exceptionally late frost/ freeze we probably see the -nao make another attempt at returning the last 10 days of the month or we get another one of those Canadian blocks that gets undercut. Thankfully most of our record lows the last 10 days of April are right around freezing so it would take a heck of a cold shot

Last edited:
Can't wait for it be sunny and in the 70s again. Hate cool and gray days like today. I am ready for sun and warmth when spring gets here.

Also with the way the pattern is evolving I'm concerned about an exceptionally late frost/ freeze we probably see the -nao make another attempt at returning the last 10 days of the month or we get another one of those Canadian blocks that gets undercut. Thankfully most of our record lows the last 10 days of April are right around freezing so it would take a heck of a cold shot
It's possible, but not very likely. We did get a freeze here in May of 1989, with GSP hitting 31 and Asheville dropping to 28 I think. That was a crazy cold shot with my area not hitting 60 the day before, even with full sun. Then we got back into the upper 30's a few days later.

It's possible, but not very likely. We did get a freeze here in May of 1989, with GSP hitting 31 and Asheville dropping to 28 I think. That was a crazy cold shot with my area not hitting 60 the day before, even with full sun. Then we got back into the upper 30's a few days later.
Didn’t that happen right after the tornado outbreak on 5/5/1989? I seem to remember it being cool and windy the day after.

Is my memory off,
In remembering more than just a few times of 35°-42° in May?
Seems as if it's happened a fair amount of times in my lifetime.
I'm in my mid 50's.

Is my memory off,
In remembering more than just a few times of 35°-42° in May?
Seems as if it's happened a fair amount of times in my lifetime.
I'm in my mid 50's.
We have had lows in the 40's in May a few times but I only remember a freeze in May that one time. We got below 40 in 1992 at GSP and snow actually mixed with rain for a few minutes there. Some places in the mountains of NC got feet of snow from that system.

We have had lows in the 40's in May a few times but I only remember a freeze in May that one time. We got below 40 in 1992 at GSP and snow actually mixed with rain for a few minutes there. Some places in the mountains of NC got feet of snow from that system.
I remember the snow that fell in May,
I was at work and it was raining.
Cold mid to upper 30's next thing u know it began to pick up intensity and changed over to huge wet snow flakes.
They were splattering as they hit the ground.
Lasted about 10 - 20mins.
Never thought I'd see that here.
As for the cool readings.
I know they don't happen every season but it seems that it does happen every 3-5 years.
So not that out of the norm,
Not freezing but
Upper 30's to low 40's seems to happen a few times a decade.

I remember the snow that fell in May,
I was at work and it was raining.
Cold mid to upper 30's next thing u know it began to pick up intensity and changed over to huge wet snow flakes.
They were splattering as they hit the ground.
Lasted about 10 - 20mins.
Never thought I'd see that here.
As for the cool readings.
I know they don't happen every season but it seems that it does happen every 3-5 years.
So not that out of the norm,
Not freezing but
Upper 30's to low 40's seems to happen a few times a decade.
Is this a haiku?

I don't think it's terribly unusual for low to mid 30s at least in early May. In 2020 the airport reached 36 on the 10th (also a 38 on the 12th), but I was camping off hwy 11 and it was down below freezing that night. I can remember several other early May mornings with temps mid 30's or lower and in those cases many outlying areas can get below freezing; but there probably aren't too many widespread freezes or temps in the upper 20s in May.

Looking like a real possibility some of us hit 90 next week before the next cold front comes through. For Charlotte, this would be the first time since 2010 and only the second time since 2000 that we’ve hit 90 in April. June 3rd was our first 90 degree day in 2023 and the average first 90 degree day is May 26th going back to 2000.

But I thought we had to hold on to dreadful weather until July 4th bc it's 90s for 6 months straight
If you call 60s and 70s with lows in the 40s and 50s "dreadful"; as opposed to 85-95 with humidity and nights that bring no relief... the we have opposite ideas of what constitutes "dreadful weather"; and I'll take your ideas of dreadful weather over my idea of dreadful weather every time!

If you call 60s and 70s with lows in the 40s and 50s "dreadful"; as opposed to 85-95 with humidity and nights that bring no relief... the we have opposite ideas of what constitutes "dreadful weather"; and I'll take your ideas of dreadful weather over my idea of dreadful weather every time!
How often are 85-95 with humidity and nights being no relief actually realized between 4/15-6/1? I'm just curious maybe your climate is different.

I just don't understand the desire for it to always be BN in spring by some folks. If it's 78 instead of 67 I think that's OK. I don't want the 90+ degree heat either but I do like to enjoy spring and be outside without having to dress like it's our new winter weather.

Edit to add. Next weekend on the 12z gfs is what I consider dreadful. Probably struggling to 60 Saturday with a NW wind at 30 then maybe 65 Sunday after starting out in the upper 30s, that's dreadful for late April but I'd love it in the fall

Last edited:
How often are 85-95 with humidity and nights being no relief actually realized between 4/15-6/1? I'm just curious maybe your climate is different.

I just don't understand the desire for it to always be BN in spring by some folks. If it's 78 instead of 67 I think that's OK. I don't want the 90+ degree heat either but I do like to enjoy spring and be outside without having to dress like it's our new winter weather.

Edit to add. Next weekend on the 12z gfs is what I consider dreadful. Probably struggling to 60 Saturday with a NW wind at 30 then maybe 65 Sunday after starting out in the upper 30s, that's dreadful for late April but I'd love it in the fall
Well maybe I totally misread your post. You were responding to someone talking about maybe hitting 90 next week and your response seemed a sarcastic remark about having to wait till "July 4th" to get the 90s instead of waiting through "dreadful" weather (till then), which I took to mean typical springtime weather. I didn't see anything about 4/15-6/1 but 90s is not typical for that time period, and I personally wouldn't call springtime weather till July 4th, "dreadful".

As for "BN always;" I'd just like to see some of it. We've had a couple of nice fronts the past couple of week but nothing out of the ordinary for late March and early April. Feb, March, and now April have all been above average at GSP and now we're looking at several days of mid 80s/low 60s coming up, so below average hasn't been much of a thing.

Each to their own, I guess; as the saying goes. 👍

Back