• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

5/4-6 possible severe wx

It must be nice not to live in a climate that gets storms instead of one draped under oceanic NE winds. Temps dropping like a rock as winds blow in from the NE. Already down the to mid-50s at RDU. Looking forward to drizzle. What's with storms this year, eastern NC is the hotspot for storms in this state, but instead, it has become a 50-degree drizzle fest last couple of months. I thought CAD would theoretically be strongest in places by the mountains like Greenville but honestly seems strongest 150 miles away from the mountains in Raleigh.st

33-60 degree drizzle is the weather equivalent of a 55-year-old man's erectile dysfunction.. it is the erectile dysfunction of weather.

LOL. That last sentence had me going! Never underestimate the Southern Piedmont as a storm hotspot though. It's that Lee trough and the fact we tend to tether boundaries more often than places to the NE.

6df1e233c944d7309b7068541dd72e8c.jpg

That activity in north Georgia blossoming well even at this time of night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These returns showing up on the hrrr tomorrow just let’s you know these things could have huge hail, even the hrrrv4 which keeps things elevated basically shows the same 628F16C2-CCDF-4CB1-BF99-FEF9530C3482.png

Holy rain, wind, and thunder Batman
I didn’t even know things were going to get fun here in Columbia. Last 30 minutes have been active to say the least but it’s over now
Heading to work in an hour fully expect to see a downed tree as I leave my neighborhood

Gotta admit, my intuition last night wrt 3km NAM being right for today's setup and the convection being completely elevated might end up being dead wrong.

6z 3km NAM is too cold even vs 11z sfc obs, we're verifying much closer to the HRRR.

nc.sfc.gif

download (22).png

overnight one of the worst thunderstorms I've experienced living in Upstate SC (off/on since 2003) - intense lightning and high straight-line winds (at one time I thought tornadic) - our portable basketball goal was picked up/pushed smashing our Toyota Sienna
oddly, we've seen numerous severe storms/even tornadoes this spring - reminds of the days when I lived in Birmingham/Tuscaloosa Alabama!

Back