• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

5/18/20 - 5/23/20 Upper Low Flooding & Severe Threat

6.76” here in northern Spartanburg County. Yesterday was 48 degrees with a NNE wind at 15 mph for most of the day and consistent rain. Even when the radar was clear we still had rain.

Thankfully all those storms just south-east of Charlotte should have more eastward progression as upper level low ticks East. No more tilting the rain back north/west.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the sun shortly. Probably one last line of storms for this area later today.

Storms fired quickly to my southwest down towards Fayetteville and east. If they can maintain it should provide another round of heavy rain for me in a couple of hours.

Warming up! I think they should cancel the flood watch from Charlotte to Boone. Those East of Charlotte still has some storms to track they slow mover not sure if they reach GSO-RAL but could.

There’s actually some support for a tornado or two down East this afternoon. Esp south of Raleigh to the coastal counties.

Wedge eroding for many but it’s safe in this instance for western NC down to Charlotte. No models depict development of storms as the system has focused well East of the area with the heavier rains and lightning.

Who is the warning coordinator for the GSP WFO? I swear they warn for arguably general thunderstorms, what’s more concerning is the excessive sizes of the polygons, lol

Sitting under this line that is training through eastern Union County, NC...have had another . 5” in the last 20 minutes. 7.7” total

Glad it’s there and not over Charlotte wow there would be serious issues. I wonder what went wrong today with lack of rain further west, they still got that flash flood watch but nothing is happening?

Glad it’s there and not over Charlotte wow there would be serious issues. I wonder what went wrong today with lack of rain further west, they still got that flash flood watch but nothing is happening?
The axis of the rain the last couple of days has been very isolated to a degree. For instance, here in the Midlands, we were supposed to have our wettest day of this rain stretch yesterday. Instead, most areas only saw 0.10-0.50 in the immediate Columbia area. We were supposed to get 1-2 inches of rain. They even extended the flash flood watch into this area, but nothing really materialized. So really, who ever got hit, got hit hard. But everyone else probably had around 2-4 inches of rain. My location has got 2.60 from this entire event.

As much as it’s rained here this week it would only take about 3 sprinkles to flood even more areas. Probably why they still have those hoisted.

Back