• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

5/18/20 - 5/23/20 Upper Low Flooding & Severe Threat

c2c849dfd885190472ddc39f346dea93.jpg

18z hrrrr this is at 21z so 4pm or so. Look at the Tornado perimeters especially for upstate sc. as a line of storms is trying to move in. Tomorrow could be a severe day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay another severe wx to watch near midnight and after. This time around tho, ground is soaked, so would imagine widespread poweroutages with even the non/severe storms.

Just cloudy and damp here. I will be very happy to see the sun again.

I feel like the HRRR has been a broken record with these the past few events.

Like literally broken, it never pans out like this.
I mean a few weeks back it was terrible with that boundary event and showed a MCS that ended up being a train of supercells and more of a N/S moving MCS vs a W/E moving MCS, but tomorrow really favors some type of complex given the energy diving in on the base of the decaying upper level low during peak heating, ofc there’s always a question if clouds or storms to our south spoil Θe advection, like what the nam shows, but the v4/hrrr generally agreed on instability

I mean a few weeks back it was terrible with that boundary event and showed a MCS that ended up being a train of supercells and more of a N/S moving MCS vs a W/E moving MCS, but tomorrow really favors some type of complex given the energy diving in on the base of the decaying upper level low during peak heating, ofc there’s always a question if clouds or storms to our south spoil Θe advection, like what the nam shows, but the v4/hrrr generally agreed on instability

We also won't have the cold air up here limiting the northward extend of the threat, right? So maybe it will turn out to be more accurate this time.

We also won't have the cold air up here limiting the northward extend of the threat, right? So maybe it will turn out to be more accurate this time.

It’s very possible (some CAMS hinting at it) that we get low clouds that stick around) that’s exactly why I’m driving south for this setup

The models had me picking up between 3 to 5 inches tonight and now its bone dry out there. They're gonna have busted badly at this rate.

western surry county back east to greensboro getting more rain this evening. better stop soon or else

Doppler radar rainfall estimates exceeding 15” in Union and Anson counties just SE of Charlotte.
View attachment 41827
I can personally verify that this gave me another 2.8 inches in about an hour and 15 minutes to put me at 9.9”, then another batch seemed to pop right over us about 6:40 and gave me another .2” in about 15 minutes. So now since Monday at 6pm we’re at 10.1”.

Back