• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

4/19/20-4/20/20 Severe Weather

That warm sector across Central/ South Ga, southern SC and parts of Fl is popping solid soundings. I do wonder how much sun the warm sector can get or if its locked into clouds
I agree. Some CAPES over 2500 showing up. Shear not nearly as impressive, but more than ample for tornadoes.

This is what I think, during the day, supercells/organized multicellular clusters will develop with all hazards, although there will be capping in place, and LLvL LRs are questionable although they may be better than the last event, but given solid low level hodos with decent critical angles (50-80) with decent low level shear and moderate-high instability, some tornadoes will be possible, along with large hail/damaging winds 8F34672B-7D69-439C-BB17-D2767AC578B3.png7AA2C753-4D8B-44C1-93A3-713392FC5FBC.png27EC7269-4DD5-4A0D-AD0E-45BD3DB5688F.png
As it gets late at night, storm modes will shift towards a MCS/QLCS, low level jet will likely pick up as well with over 35-45kts of 1km shear, some QLCS tornadoes are possible with a wind damage threat, what gets my attention is the cyclonic flow on hodos from the low levels to the upper levels, that can help increase the chance of supercells getting going embedded in the QLCS just like the last event, this is something that has to be watched, I would say tho that parameters with the last event were scarier, but yet again, you can have scary parameters and have messy storms modes, but you can have less favorable parameters and have storm modes that are more favorable for isolated supercells so they end up producing, just something to keep in mind F5233E85-89B8-4E75-AF74-6184C2843141.pngB68AC6CE-0826-4802-A769-057F4CC756DA.png

From NWS BMX
57468b1ce5ed350174d45a1e700c28ef.jpg
8ae9a10425e7fbb2587b52fb04743f76.jpg
bd0f3e5dad43a190a2b7af78c7bb4bf7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

When you pull a Southern SC sounding from the NAM, you get this...

1587093233866.png

Crap...now isn't that delightful (not, and I looked at more than the possible hazard type). I hope it's the NAM going nuts but we'll see, because to me the short range actually did a really good job in SC with last time.

0z Euro backs surface winds to the south and yields 0-1km helicity 350-450 across AL, MS and 998mb over the far NW corner of AL. Keeps lots of precip in the warm sector which hampers instability though. However if you get the NAMs clean warm sector with this helicity numbers watch out.

From what I can tell, the 12z NAM was a bit further north yet than the 00z run.

Well, unless we see some major changes, this event looks doesn't appear to be as significant as last Sundays. And it looks to affect a smaller geographical area. So, that's good! Not that places in MS and LA won't get hit hard again, but it doesn't appear as dire.

Well, unless we see some major changes, this event looks doesn't appear to be as significant as last Sundays. And it looks to affect a smaller geographical area. So, that's good! Not that places in MS and LA won't get hit hard again, but it doesn't appear as dire.
A lot can change from now and then. Mesoscale details will ultimately determine the risk.

A lot can change from now and then. Mesoscale details will ultimately determine the risk.

True, and a lot changed with last week's events as we approached it. But the overall setup isn't the same. Just got to wait and see.

In area size wise, no, locally absolutely if not higher. The question right now is how far does the warm front go north and how contaminated is the warm sector.

Am I broken or is the 12z Euro worlds apart from other models and way slower
I don't know, but the timing is fairly similar between the models, but the EURO puts a lot of NC back into play. Looks extremely similar to last Sunday/Monday. I haven't looked specifically at the soundings yet, though. Either way, many of the same areas that got hit last week will get hit again.

I don't know, but the timing is fairly similar between the models, but the EURO puts a lot of NC back into play. Looks extremely similar to last Sunday/Monday. I haven't looked specifically at the soundings yet, though. Either way, many of the same areas that got hit last week will get hit again.

Soundings don't look like much of anything here in NC. Just a rainy mess.

Of course that can always change, but it seems like things up here would need to change really really drastically in order to even approach last week and none of the models are showing that.

Back