• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

4/19/20-4/20/20 Severe Weather

Webberweather53

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Definitely think it's time to go ahead & pull the trigger on this one given the overall support this has inside day 4 & I expect the SPC to denote this pretty soon in their convective outlooks. While a large proportion of this board may not see anything severe wx wise whatsoever, and this threat will be considerably more tame overall than this past weekend, definitely looks like a respectable event is coming up for the portions of the Arklatex, Gulf coast, and those well south of I-20.

A pair of closed lows off the coast of California will eject out of the Desert southwest this weekend, resulting in cyclogenesis over the southern plains and deep south, coupled with warm, moist southerly return flow off the Gulf of Mexico and modest-moderate destabilization, especially across the Arklatex and Gulf coast.

floop-gfs-2020041518.500hv.conus (1).gif

1587008565025.png

1587008577779.png

Deep layer shear of 40-60 knots across the warm sector coupled with strong forcing for ascent & long cyclonically curved hodographs through the lowest 1-2km w/ some mid-level backing (especially later on in the evolution) favors supercell clusters and some upscale growth into a QLCS with primary hazards of damaging straight line winds and isolated tornadoes. Low-level shear across the warm sector & low-level lapse rates and instability appear to be the primary limiting factors to tornadoes but values somewhere in the ballpark of 200-250 m2/s2 & ~750-1000 j/kg respectively, are generally sufficient to produce tornadoes w/ some potential for a few to be strong, especially if more shear &/or CAPE is realized.

1587008052441.png
1587008033271.png

CIPS severe weather analog guidance really picking up on this too.

download (16).png

Pretty large area of the southeastern US has legitimately non-zero surface based CAPE, certainly going to be a lot of elevated convection along & north of the I-20 corridor in AL/GA/SC but many of these storms may actually be surface-based which is concerning given how much low-level shear there will be for tornadoes (not as much as last weekend but enough)

1587031972561.png

1587031991890.png

This doesn't have the insane parameter space last weekend had, but as SPC notes, the low-level shear will increase dramatically as this system comes east and 200-300 0-1 SRH coupled with 250-400 j/kg CAPE is sufficient to produce plenty of tornadoes, and more in line w/ what we typically see during an "outbreak" in the SE US. Could be another overnight QLCS tornado threat, however probably not as bad as last weekend overall and low-level lapse rates are also going to be a limiting factor.

1587032257970.png

The NAM is smoking something rather strong.... Near BHM and north central MS. Can you say loaded gun soundings?! Stronger and more backed low level winds and there is a serious problem.

Edit: The NAM actually flags what would be true PDS sounding as the band of Supercells fire over MS and move into AL at 0z Sunday. This is how you get an April 8 1998 situation.

1587057895969.png

Northern MS

1587058111280.png

Last edited:
UKMet just south of Tuscaloosa. Any backing of low level winds and we have big problems.

Edit: UKMet is flagging 5/18/95 which was a powerhouse outbreak across TN/KY.

1587067900650.png

QPF.

qpf_006h.us_se.png

qpf_006h.us_se.png

I don't know if I should start getting worried about this next round, quite yet. Some of the modeling wants to keep this south of CLT/GSP/ATL area's, But we all know how that turned out last time... maybe @Webberweather53 can provide some sage advice or his opinion on this setup.

Back