• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe 3/30-4/2 Severe Weather

The key takeaway for me is that wind is now the leading threat across the board for them. Anyone think we actually will see a high wind watch/warning ahead of the line or will they likely stick with the advisory?
Probably stick with wind advisory, Idk know the criteria but there is such things as a pds watch for severe winds I think..

Just read it's usually for derechos so you may see a watch for that

I'm still under a Slight Risk for Today, odd.

Also, even if it's without the storms, I've heard that some models, (Posted on a different forum) have wind gusts up to Hurricane Force (Not Thunderstorm Enhanced) in the OV & down into Alabama as up to 50-60 mph gusts.

And Thunderstorm wind gusts could get up to 100 mph. A High Risk for that is not out of the question.

Last edited:
This is a discussion from Fred Gossage about tomorrows event:

But I do think a couple of tornadoes in the QLCS may be EF2 or maybe up to lower EF3 (we see that a good bit more often than a lot of people like to admit), and because of the fast storm motions, tornadoes of any intensity in the line may be a slight touch longer-tracked than they otherwise would be. But even if there are a couple of strong tornadoes in the line, the big deal tomorrow is going to be the widespread 70-80 mph wind swath with what will probably be a serial derecho

This one gives me vibes of a system we had a year or two ago that came in during the fall/winter season. It was also a widespread long track derecho type system. It was very well warned and forcast

When was the last true by definition derecho in Alabama? 28-June-2018? Don’t most derechos occur in summer months from a NW flow aloft? It seems to be relatively rare to have a derecho in the spring. By definition a derecho should have consistent damage reports at severe criteria for 240 miles or approximately Clarksdale Ms to Huntsville AL.

According to SPC the derecho definition is

“By definition, if the swath of wind damage extends at least 400 miles (about 650 kilometers), is at least 60 miles (about 100 km) wide, includes wind gusts of at least 58 mph (93 km/h) along most of its length, and also includes several, well-separated 75 mph (121 km/h) or greater gusts, the event may be classified as a derecho.”

Regardless, it doesn’t have to be a derecho to cause a lot of wind damage. I was just curious after seeing several Mets mention derecho potential.

When was the last true by definition derecho in Alabama? 28-June-2018? Don’t most derechos occur in summer months from a NW flow aloft? It seems to be relatively rare to have a derecho in the spring. By definition a derecho should have consistent damage reports at severe criteria for 240 miles or approximately Clarksdale Ms to Huntsville AL.
Only one I can truly remeber is 2012 cause I was outside in it lol. There's been a few here and there but for north and central Alabama have had some since 2012 but minor and usually skirts the state

Wednesday's forecast, from many sources, is including a strong risk of high straight line winds. Does the NWS use the word "derecho" in forecasting? Is damaging straight line winds associated with a QLCS across a large area considered a derecho, or are those born from a different type of synoptic setup?

Wednesday's forecast, from many sources, is including a strong risk of high straight line winds. Does the NWS use the word "derecho" in forecasting? Is damaging straight line winds associated with a QLCS across a large area considered a derecho, or are those born from a different type of synoptic setup?
A derecho is a QCLS, it only gets a derecho name once it's reached criteria of range of damage and length. So the nws probably is referring to that but I imagine saying QCLS Is more scientifically correct lol, cause it hasn't done it yet.

A derecho is a QCLS, it only gets a derecho name once it's reached criteria of range of damage and length. So the nws probably is referring to that but I imagine saying QCLS Is more scientifically correct lol, cause it hasn't done it yet.
That makes sense. I did not realize there was criteria in place to define a wind event as a derecho. thank you!

That northwest quadrant of Alabama really needs a high risk just from a quick glance that area is going to get knocked.

This won’t be fun, fully expecting to lose power tomorrow night, got my flashlights and everything though.
Yeah I’m going to crank the generator this afternoon to make sure it is in good shape. Probably will pick up some extra batteries and fill up couple of gas cans tomorrow just in case. I hate storms that come thru during the night.

Back