• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe 3/30-4/2 Severe Weather

A dumb question, but with the severe winds forecast, should that not be a pds watch?
I may be wrong but only seen PDS tornado watches and never a PDS severe thunderstorm watch. The tornado threat is not an upper end high threat although still significant in the hatched tornado area on SPC latest day 1 outlook.

I’m trying to multitask but I did find this older paper, apparently there is a PDS severe thunderstorm watch.

“When the threat for damage caused by severe convection is unusually high, the Storm Prediction Center (SPC) enhances the wording of its convective watch product with the following statement:
THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION
Such watches are known as “PDS” watches. PDS tornado (TOR) watches are issued when the forecaster has high confidence that multiple strong (F2-F3 on the Fujita Scale) or violent tornadoes (F4-F5 on the Fujita Scale) will occur in the watch area, while PDS severe thunderstorm (SEV) watches are issued when there is a threat of a high end “derecho” (e.g. Johns and Hirt 1987, Coniglio et al. 2004) with widespread wind damage.”

It’s been noted in the discussions that the instability and higher dew points were going to reside in a narrow corridor ahead of the storms with the possibility that the line moves so fast around north Alabama that it outpaces it. This isn’t going to be a time where we have a blanket of high dew points across the whole area.

I just ran a 50 Frame loop on Radar Scope and you can tell the line of storms is slowing some but also expanding. :oops:

Back