• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

Dear Lord, not another soil temp comment....
Haha well when it’s been 75 degrees so recently it is a legit limiting factor. The NWS frequently discusses soil temps with regard to snowfall accumulations.

Warm soil temps + marginal BL temps + sun angle are the unholy trifecta that I’ve seen severely damper several snow events in the past, most recently February 2020 here.

Haha well when it’s been 75 degrees so recently it is a legit limiting factor. The NWS frequently discusses soil temps with regard to snowfall accumulations.

Warm soil temps + marginal BL temps + sun angle are the unholy trifecta that I’ve seen severely damper several snow events in the past, most recently February 2020 here.
Sheesh warm weenies really backed up in a corner having to talk about this stuff ? sun angle does not even remotely become a problem right now nor will it until March everything else can always be over come by dynamics and rates … if people even see flakes falling with this system it’s a major victory as we finally are shaking up the constant 70s pattern and finally get our pattern change we’ve been talking about

Sheesh warm weenies really backed up in a corner having to talk about this stuff ? sun angle does not even remotely become a problem right now nor will it until March everything else can always be over come by dynamics and rates … if people even see flakes falling with this system it’s a major victory as we finally are shaking up the constant 70s pattern and finally get our pattern change we’ve been talking about
Time of day still matters as the noon sun angle even this time of year can hamper accumulations if the BL is marginal, especially on paved surfaces, but I agree it’s pretty mundane compared to the situation in March.

Time of day still matters as the noon sun angle even this time of year can hamper accumulations if the BL is marginal, especially on paved surfaces, but I agree it’s pretty mundane compared to the situation in March.
Noon sun melts/sublimates here with temps in the teens! Cloudy or sunny

excited to watch a deform band park over campus while I am at home. neat

Noon sun melts/sublimates here with temps in the teens! Cloudy or sunny
I remember as a kid we had a couple inches of snow and then the next day the high was like 20F with full sunshine. I thought there would be no melting because I was young and dumb and the temperature was well below freezing, but instead the steet was like a river and the full sun absolutely scorched the areas in the sun and by the end of the day there was bare grass to be seen. It was a depressing realization.

Back