• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

I’m hoping for El Niño next winter, preferable weak to moderate. I’ve had enough of La Niña for awhile. This winter is reminding me that I usually don’t like them. The SER needs to be quieted down.
I never wish for a La Nina, ever. I know some wanted to try it out since the last El Nino or neutral didn't work. 19-20 was a weak El Nino if I remember correctly? It had a lot of hype and things lining up in early December and was a complete dud for most. I think north GA and the extreme west Upstate lucked out with a localized 4-6 inch snowfall. I had snow fall 3 different times for absolutely 0 accumulation. I can't remember what screwed the pooch that winter. I think it was the MJO and bad Pacific just like the last 2.

I never wish for a La Nina, ever. I know some wanted to try it out since the last El Nino or neutral didn't work. 19-20 was a weak El Nino if I remember correctly? It had a lot of hype and things lining up in early December and was a complete dud for most. I think north GA and the extreme west Upstate lucked out with a localized 4-6 inch snowfall. I had snow fall 3 different times for absolutely 0 accumulation. I can't remember what screwed the pooch that winter. I think it was the MJO and bad Pacific just like the last 2.

Yeah, you just have to look at overall climo (i.e.,a bunch of years to have a big enough sample size) to know that El Niño’s (especially weak to moderate) have on average been significantly colder than La Nina’s (especially vs moderate to strong) in the SE thanks largely to them averaging +PNA/less SER vs -PNA/more SER average for La Niña. Individual years vary too much due to other factors. El Niño’s have also averaged snowier at KATL longterm though there’s lots of variation year to year.

Last edited:
I have considered moving to interior Washington state before. My hesitation has been that the meaningful snowfall is at pass level or higher and I think that most residences are below that area. Sure, its 15 to 20 minutes to drive from Tacoma to Snowqualmie Pass or Stampede Pass which is very reasonable, but down at living areas not sure they get snow much at all. And, when it does snow, they probably shut down roads at the pass which means it can snow all damn day and I wont get to see it. Thats my hesitancy weather wise.

Well, it's not everyday you see this in the San Fernando Valley...

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Los Angeles/Oxnard CA
213 PM PST Mon Dec 27 2021

CAZ046-547-280200-
/O.NEW.KLOX.FR.Y.0011.211228T0800Z-211228T1600Z/
Santa Monica Mountains Recreational Area-
Los Angeles County San Fernando Valley-
Including the cities of Woodland Hills, Northridge, Burbank,
and Universal City
213 PM PST Mon Dec 27 2021

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM PST
TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Temperatures as low as 32 will result in frost formation.
Isolated pockets of temperatures around 30 are possible.

* WHERE...Santa Monica Mountains and San Fernando Valley.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 8 AM PST Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Frost can damage sensitive plants and harm pets if
left unprotected.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Take steps now to protect tender plants from the cold.

&&

$$

I have considered moving to interior Washington state before. My hesitation has been that the meaningful snowfall is at pass level or higher and I think that most residences are below that area. Sure, its 15 to 20 minutes to drive from Tacoma to Snowqualmie Pass or Stampede Pass which is very reasonable, but down at living areas not sure they get snow much at all. And, when it does snow, they probably shut down roads at the pass which means it can snow all damn day and I wont get to see it. Thats my hesitancy weather wise.
Cost of living is way too expensive on the west coast ! But i'm sure if you have money its a great place to live. Summers cant be beat there ! I wouldn't mind living in a place like Boise. I've heard lots of good things about that city.

A part of me would like to spend a winter downwind of Lake Erie or Lake Ontario.

It may be hard to believe, but I love me some Lake Effect Snow. If it ain't falling at 2-4"/hr with the occasional thunder/lightning, it ain't crap.

That said, there are no areas up there I find desirable for living, especially as a major city person.

Back