• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

You need to move out west where there's less people and the government owns a lot of land that's vacant. You'd like that.
That’s fine but I prefer a more conservation minded community . That doesn’t always mean the federal government owns all the property . Highlands NC which was brought up has a group known as the Highlands Conservancy which manages privately owned conserved land .

That’s fine but I prefer a more conservation minded community . That doesn’t always mean the federal government owns all the property . Highlands NC which was brought up has a group known as the Highlands Conservancy which manages privately owned conserved land .
But as you say it's all the rich people's fault but only rich people have the money to do such things.

But as you say it's all the rich people's fault but only rich people have the money to do such things.
Far from it . These are land trusts which rely on donations not rich individuals . Most of the land protected is family land anyways. We aren’t talking about brokens rich granddads 100 acre property he bought 20 years ago for a second home .

Right where we want it

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_53.png

Personally, I don't think a prolonged colder pattern will settle in across the southeastern US anytime soon. There might be a colder period in early January from influence of the MJO and other positive features in the Pacific that indicate colder air transitioning east of the Rockies towards the eastern US.

I have a new proposed teleconnection that requires further research. The proposed teleconnection is the Equatorial and Subtropic Atlantic Oscillation (ESAO) The ESAO is reoccurring above normal SSTs and easterly winds between the tropical and subtropic Atlantic.

Above normal SSTs of the ESAO (positive phase) causes an up-welling of cold water from the deeper portions of the Atlantic that causes the thermocline to become flat. This causes the below normal SSTs in the Gulf, west central Atlantic and through the north Atlantic as the Gulf stream/current transports the colder SSTs. Weaker easterly winds cause a build up of above normal SSTs just off the western coast of Africa. The warmer SSTs become gradually colder towards the eastern Caribbean as the easterly winds lose momentum across the ESAO region.

Currently, the ESAO is in a slightly negative/netrual phase, this means that the SSTs of the ESAO are slightly above normal/netrual on average. With the ESAO in the negative/netrual phase, above normal SSTs will dominate the Gulf, west central Atlantic and the northern Atlantic.

The ESAO is different than the AMO. The AMO is variability of SSTs over the north Atlantic on the timescale of several decades. The variability of SSTs of the ESAO is on a timescale of weeks/months or even days and involves the SSTs between the tropical and subtropic Atlantic.

With the above normal SSTs in the Gulf, west and north Atlantic, higher geopotential heights would prevent the colder air from filtering in further to the southeastern US. The warmer SSTs cause an increase of heat into the stratosphere, causing higher geopotential heights. Over the coming weeks, the ESAO looks to remain in the slightly negative/netrual phase due to consistent easterly winds of the ESAO (but that can change) With that being said, at this time, expect to see weak ridging across the southeastern US and even eastern ridging into early Jan.
I plan on publishing a write up today on this. I'll post a link to the article once I publish it.

Where is it getting published?
It will be published on Medium (a writing publication site) Since I'm not an official meteorologist, the proposal of the ESAO probably won't be implemented with NOAA. Maybe I can get some help (on behalf) implementing it for it to be an official teleconnection.

Back