• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

That overnight CFS run showed what I thought was a perfect scenario to break all-time cold records. Question for a met (or anybody with the knowledge): How cold can we actually get with the perfect setup? 20 below for RDU?
I've always thought around -5 was kind of our realistic floor going forward with the overall climate warming and the inability of our area to really plunge well below 0 frequently historically. I do think that the record low max at rdu may be easier to beat than the record low

You guys know you don't have to wait for the CFS to get clown maps, right? There are plenty of free drawing programs on the internet where you can cut and paste the map and color it up to make any fantasy snow storm that you like. It would be just as accurate.

I've always thought around -5 was kind of our realistic floor going forward with the overall climate warming and the inability of our area to really plunge well below 0 frequently historically. I do think that the record low max at rdu may be easier to beat than the record low
The CFS had RDU drop below 20 hour 516 and was still in single digits at hour 768 when the run ended. That isn't even close to any previous cold we have gotten (1899, 1977, 1985). Its something unheard of. Forget once in a 100 that was once in 1000. Hell, think it had 2-3 days where the temp never broke 0 in the deep south near the gulf coast. I have seen the CFS do this before in previous years.

Reactions: SD
That overnight CFS run showed what I thought was a perfect scenario to break all-time cold records. Question for a met (or anybody with the knowledge): How cold can we actually get with the perfect setup? 20 below for RDU?
What is the snow depth on the CFS?

The CFS had RDU drop below 20 hour 516 and was still in single digits at hour 768 when the run ended. That isn't even close to any previous cold we have gotten (1899, 1977, 1985). Its something unheard of. Forget once in a 100 that was once in 1000. Hell, think it had 2-3 days where the temp never broke 0 in the deep south near the gulf coast. I have seen the CFS do this before in previous years.
Yeah it may not handle snow cover well so it just feeds back on itself so it just gets colder and colder

Yeah it may not handle snow cover well so it just feeds back on itself so it just gets colder and colder
I want to say it was 2017, but the GFS had the same issue. It showed RDU hitting -10 run after run after run, even up to verification it had the low at RDU at -10 when it was only 9.

That CFS run from last night is just flat out crazy lol.

None of it is likely to happen, but I would honestly take a winter where we saw a couple weeks like January 1982 and otherwise normal to above normal temperatures for the rest of the winter.

(placed in Whamby because this is pure fantasy stuff loool)

Back